Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/28 17:09:13 UTC

Distributions structure

Re-hi all
Here's another pair of questions for to clear my doubts.

1. In Tiles 2.0.1 there were two source distributions, one for
tiles-core and one for tiles-api. In the trunk I configured the
assembly module so that it creates only one distribution with all
sources. Should we maintain the old "one-package-per-module"
structure, or "one-package-catch-all"? (Like Shale does).

2. Should we include the test webapp in source and binary
distributions? Struts 1 uses a different approach: it creates several
distributions (library, all, etc.) to allow the user to choose what to
download, but since Tiles is pretty "tiny" (compared to Struts,
obviously) I think that only one binary that contains everything
should be ok.

Thoughts?
Antonio

Re: Distributions structure

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Re-hi all
> Here's another pair of questions for to clear my doubts.
>
> 1. In Tiles 2.0.1 there were two source distributions, one for
> tiles-core and one for tiles-api. In the trunk I configured the
> assembly module so that it creates only one distribution with all
> sources. Should we maintain the old "one-package-per-module"
> structure, or "one-package-catch-all"? (Like Shale does).

I assume that, by package, you mean the tar or zip file, right?  I prefer
the "one-package-catch-all" approach.  To clarify, I'm *very* happy with the
distribution that the assembly module built for me yesterday.  It had a
directory for every module.  The directories were full-blown Maven projects.

2. Should we include the test webapp in source and binary
> distributions? Struts 1 uses a different approach: it creates several
> distributions (library, all, etc.) to allow the user to choose what to
> download, but since Tiles is pretty "tiny" (compared to Struts,
> obviously) I think that only one binary that contains everything
> should be ok.

Again, I like the one-binary approach.  I do think we should include the
test app in the appropriate form in both distributions.

Greg