Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luong Phan <lu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/22 10:31:29 UTC

Suitable Driver Error

Hi all,

In my web application, I use mysql supported by Redhat Linux 7.3 to store database, jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4, mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar, and JSP.

Every time, I run the program:

import java.io.IOException;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import java.sql.Statement;

public class Data {
 private Connection connection;
 private Statement statement;

 public Data() throws ClassNotFoundException,SQLException{

  String DBDriver=null;
  String url=null;
  String username=null;
  String password=null;

        password="myPassword";
        username="myUserName";
        url="dbc:mysql://localhost/gmds";
        DBDriver="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver";

    try{
         Class.forName(DBDriver);
         connection=DriverManager.getConnection(url,username,password);
         statement=connection.createStatement();
       }catch(ClassNotFoundException e){
                     System.err.println("Failed to load JDBC/ODBC driver.");
                     e.printStackTrace();
      }catch(SQLException e){
                     System.err.println("Unable to connect");
                     e.printStackTrace();
      }
    }
I get the error:
Unable to connect
java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java   532)

What is suitable driver for my application? Please give me some words of advice!

Thanks a lot.

LuongPhan

Re: Suitable Driver Error

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
Your url is wrong. Should be:

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/gmds";

The 3306 is the default port mysql accepts connections on. If you've
changed it, change your url string.

HTH,

Jon

RE: Suitable Driver Error

Posted by Jason Lanpher <jl...@stealthnetworking.com>.
You should use the followin format for your connections string.

	private String host="127.0.0.1";
	private String user="mysqlusername";
	private String pass="mysqlpassword";
	private String db="yourdatabasename";
	private String dburl = null;
	private Connection con;
	private String error;

	public void connect() throws ClassNotFoundException, SQLException,
Exception
	{
		try
		{
			Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver");

			// create connection string

			dburl = "jdbc:mysql://" + host + "/" + db +
			"?user=" + user + "&password=" + pass;

			con = DriverManager.getConnection(dburl);
		}
		catch (ClassNotFoundException cnfe)
		{
			error = "ClassNotFoundException: Could not locate DB
driver.";
			throw new ClassNotFoundException(error);
		}
		catch (SQLException cnfe)
		{
			error = "SQLException: Could not connect to
database.";
			throw new SQLException(error);
		}
		catch (Exception e)
		{
			error = "Exception: An unknown error occured while
connecting " +
			"to the database.";
			throw new Exception(error);
		}
	} // end of connect method

Jason Lanpher

jlanpher@stealthnetworking.com

http://www.stealthnetworking.com

Remember there are only 10 types of people in this world.  Those who
understand Binary and those who don't.