Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mat <it...@gmx.net> on 2006/09/14 19:25:15 UTC

Big Java app including JSP files

Hi everybody.

Unfortunately I am only very little familiar with servlets and JSPs. But
I have the following urgent qustion, since I have to solve it for my job.

I have the source code availible for a bigger JAVA web project. I
managed to import it into Eclipse and compile it. But I would also like
to change or extend some features of the web interface.

Beside the source folder of the project, a folder for the class-files
and some lib-folders, there is also one folder containing .jsp, .jsi and
.js files (including index.jsp, error.jsp, footer.jsi, header.jsi,
main15.js...). I know that Tomcat 4.1 has been used as well as the
tomcatplugin for Eclipse, so I also set up this.

If I try to start the mentioned index.jsp file with Tomcat
(http://localhost:8082/htdocs/index.jsp) a file
D:\<folder>\work\org\apache\jsp\htdocs\index_jsp.java is being created
and I get the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

An error occurred at line: 17 in the jsp file: /htdocs/header.jsi

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

D:\<folder>\work\org\apache\jsp\htdocs\index_jsp.java:7: package
pck.pckname does not exist
import pck.pckname.*;
^
D:\<folder>\work\org\apache\jsp\htdocs\index_jsp.java:9: package
pck.pckname does not exist
import pck.pckname.FileName;
                   ^
(...)
and so on.

If I copy the folder with the Java project package into the work folder
(work\org\apache\jsp) and execute my file index.jsp with Tomcat again, I
get further but again get the following error message:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

An error occurred at line: 17 in the jsp file: /htdocs/header.jsi

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

D:\<folder>\work\org\apache\jsp\<package_folder>\SomefileMux.java:14:
package org.mortbay.http does not exist
import org.mortbay.http.HttpRequest;
                        ^
D:\<folder>\work\org\apache\jsp\package_folder>\SomefileMux.java:15:
package org.mortbay.http does not exist
import org.mortbay.http.HttpResponse;

(...)

I know that in the original files I got there are a lot of class files
based on the jsp files such as: index_jsp.class, error_jsp.class ...).

How can I compile this project and get also all this *_jsp.class files??
Please help me...

RE: Big Java app including JSP files

Posted by Tracy Nelson <tn...@factsmgt.com>.
It sounds like you need to set up your project libraries.  It's been
awhile since I used Eclipse, but I think if you right-click on your
project, then select "Properties" (bottom of the menu), you should see
an option for "Java Build Path".  Check for something like "Referenced
jar files", and make sure that all the jar files used in your project
(those in the lib folder) are listed.  If not, then add them.

---
Tracy Nelson / Nelnet Business Solutions
402 / 617-9449