Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.," <di...@vsnl.com> on 2001/05/26 13:40:05 UTC

User tracking in IE 6

Hi,

This is related to other thread on user tracking
I've been reading up a bit on the upcoming IE6 release.
Couple of facts which may bite some of our software are
a) By default 3rd party cookies are to be disabled in IE6
b) Implementation of P3P in IE 6.

Our software is a 3rd party adserver which uses cookies. (We are not using it for privacy but find it more convenient to track clickthroughs).
We are planning to have a minor release of our software in the post IE6 era.
We wanted thots on
-- How are other people going to handle cookies with IE 6. Have any of you tested it ?
-- Links / material which will help us understand P3P in the context of cookies. Most links we found are talking about the full-policy of disclosing privacy info. We wanted more info on the compact policy of handling cookies.

Thanks,

Murali

Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.,
90, 3rd Cross,2nd Main,
Ganga Nagar,
Bangalore - 560 032
Phone : 91 80 3631445, 3431470
Visit us at www.diffsoft.com

Re: User tracking in IE 6

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ne...@writeme.com>.
I've already started toying with IE6 (to look at the XML handling, actually - which is pretty decent so far).  But what IE 6 does is it somehow checks privacy  statements (no idea how it looks at 'em, though).  If there's a problem it shows you a tiny icon near the security icon.  If it's really bad, it's red - minor problems are yellow.  In any case, by default everything's enabled, I think, but there's options to start disabling problematic third-party sites.

  Issac

  Visit us at www.diffsoft.com

Re: User tracking in IE 6

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Sat, 26 May 2001, Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd., wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is related to other thread on user tracking
> I've been reading up a bit on the upcoming IE6 release.
> Couple of facts which may bite some of our software are
> a) By default 3rd party cookies are to be disabled in IE6

Eek. Spot the number one feature for "Do not show this again" being
checked.

> b) Implementation of P3P in IE 6.

... Which yet again isn't even into Recommendation status at the W3C
(granted, it's in CR stage where they wait for implementations to reveal
problems, and so you can't get out of that until there are
implementations, etc). Sounds familiar to XSLT developers out there.

> Our software is a 3rd party adserver which uses cookies. (We are not using it for privacy but find it more convenient to track clickthroughs).
> We are planning to have a minor release of our software in the post IE6 era.
> We wanted thots on
> -- How are other people going to handle cookies with IE 6. Have any of you tested it ?
> -- Links / material which will help us understand P3P in the context of cookies. Most links we found are talking about the full-policy of disclosing privacy info. We wanted more info on the compact policy of handling cookies.

Have you been straight to the source?

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-P3P-20001215/
and
http://www.w3.org/P3P/