Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by drmangrum <dr...@yahoo.com> on 2014/06/16 17:28:02 UTC

Re: Inconsistent query times

Bumping with a little more information...

I think I've localized the issue to Zookeeper.

When I query SolrCloud nodes individually, they all run well and perform as
expected; I can execute 1800 queries in 3 seconds.  It's only when I run a
query through zookeeper that problems arise.  I've looked through the
documentation, and done everything suggested (set a heap size, secondary
device for transaction logging), but nothing seems to help.

The really odd thing here is that when I get the pauses, they're always in
multiples of 21 seconds.

Re: Inconsistent query times

Posted by lboutros <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

this could be a network issue, like dns resolving.

To verify this you could update your host file with the ip address of your
nodes.

Ludovic.

-----
Jouve
France.

Re: Inconsistent query times

Posted by drmangrum <dr...@yahoo.com>.
I've found the issue and I feel rather foolish.

One of my servers wasn't responding.  For some reason it didn't like to be
on port 12000.  As soon as I changed the port number, everything ran
swimmingly.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Inconsistent query times

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok, so we have 2 different scenarios here, running a query through admin UI
and I'm assuming there you are quoting qTimes from the )UI, direct to the
relevant core, and running through CloudSolrServer (what you called
"running a query through ZK").

Questions:
 - What timings are you using when you run through CloudSolrServer?  Are
you measuring elapsed time yourself, or getting qTimes by parsing Qtime
from the response?  If you are measuring elapsed time, then you are
comparing apples with pears.  Check the qTimes in the responses, those
should be equivalent to what the UI shows.
 - What parameters do you use to CloudSolrServer? Do you enable parallel
updates, updates to leader, etc?  I know these are queries but would be
good to know what options you have set (if any).
 - What else is going on in your application when you talk to
CloudSolrServer, could it be a GC pause in your app?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/16/2014 9:28 AM, drmangrum wrote:
> Bumping with a little more information...
>
> I think I've localized the issue to Zookeeper.
>
> When I query SolrCloud nodes individually, they all run well and perform as
> expected; I can execute 1800 queries in 3 seconds.  It's only when I run a
> query through zookeeper that problems arise.  I've looked through the
> documentation, and done everything suggested (set a heap size, secondary
> device for transaction logging), but nothing seems to help.

What does it mean to "run a query through zookeeper?" I honestly have no
idea, this is not an attempt to have you explain something that I
already understand.

> The really odd thing here is that when I get the pauses, they're always in
> multiples of 21 seconds.

I can't think of anything that would take that precise amount of time.
That doesn't mean it isn't a known problem, but I don't know what
itmight be.

Thanks,
Shawn