Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nikolaos Dalezios <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/25 23:06:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] event.outcome information

Hi all!
While reading the code on the events, I realize that there is no
information for failed events. eg a failed logon.
Is this for real or I am missing something?
If an event.outcome information is actually missing do you think that there
is a point to include this on a future release?

Thank you

Nikos Dalezios

Re: [DISCUSS] event.outcome information

Posted by Suresh Kumar Anaparti <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nikos,

Most of the events are scheduled and intercepted from the beginning of API
cmd execution till its completion. The success or failure is indicated in
the event description on that event completion. For example:

+-----+---------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+-----+---------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| 568 | VM.CREATE     | Scheduled | starting Vm. Vm Id:
317cd9ef-28c5-4604-bd69-484a90d1b964Vm Name:testvm                  |

| 569 | VM.CREATE     | Started   | starting Vm. Vm Id:
317cd9ef-28c5-4604-bd69-484a90d1b964 Vm Name: testvm                |

| 570 | VM.CREATE     | Completed | Error while starting Vm. Vm Id:
317cd9ef-28c5-4604-bd69-484a90d1b964 Vm Name: testvm    |

+-----+---------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

and some events (without API cmds) are explicitly mentioned, ex: USER.LOGIN.
 The login event is not intercepted as above. It is explicitly marked as
Completed upon login success. The failed logon can also be mentioned in the
similar way. The outcomes of the events from API cmds can be retrieved from
the job status.

May be the events with new final states: Completed_Success(or Done) and
Completed_Failure(or Failed) - without DB upgrade [or] a new boolean
outcome flag (invalid for other states except Completed) can indicate the
actual outcome.

Any particular use cases for event.outcome information?

- Suresh