Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Satyam Shekhar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/17 19:14:50 UTC

Backquote in SQL dialect

Hello,

I have been happily using Flink as the SQL engine for running streaming and
batch queries.

I am curious to understand the rationale behind Flink using backticks (`)
for quoting purposes instead of standard double quotes ("). Is double-quote
reserved for some other usage?

Regards,
Satyam

Re: Backquote in SQL dialect

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Satyam,

this has historical reasons. In the beginning all SQL queries were
embedded in Java programs and thus Java strings. So single quote was
handy for declaring SQL strings in a Java string and backticks for
escaping keywords. But I agree that we should make this configurable.
Feel free to open an issue for this in JIRA.

Regards,
Timo