Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com> on 2014/10/15 21:13:12 UTC

Large changes on the codebase due to MESOS-1872

Hey Everyone,

I would like to reach out to the developer community for making sure that we find a consensus on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1872 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1872> and other, entire code-base affecting changes.

Evelina has bravely proposed three review requests (mesos/libprocess/stout) for covering the ticket. There is however some greater risk involved and I wanted to be sure that we are all aware of the pro’s and con's of such big cleanups.

+ we may need to do cleanups - even major ones at some point, hence I think we need a consensus once and for all regarding tickets of the above nature
- almost all existing RRs will possibly get invalid and everyone with work in flight needs to rebase (possibly rather tedious task in particular case).

There may be more.

The only way I can currently see this happening with minimal friction is finding a certain date and even time for doing this on a very quick, propose/review/commit.

What do you think?

cheers!
Till

Re: Large changes on the codebase due to MESOS-1872

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
> - almost all existing RRs will possibly get invalid

Why is that Till? Are you thinking of merge conflicts?

>If you work in a function that can get cleaned up, clean it up.
>Maybe clean up the entire file if you're making changes to multiple
functions.

But please separate the patches. :)

> git blame history which can be invaluable when working in a file and
trying to ask for some help.

Till, does 'git blame -w' ignore this particular change, since she's only
removing whitespace?

Posted by Cody Maloney <co...@mesosphere.io>.
I think in this case there isn't a lot of value added relative to the cost.
It is an invasive change that doesn't change how easy the code is to work
with, and will periodically break things like '\' aligned to the right for
continuing macros.

For some things like migrating the mesos codebase style to one which can be
as mechanically enforced as possible or resolving. I also potentially see
some things like directory moving happening in the future (making it so
there isn't a 3rdparty embedded in a 3rdparty).

Practically if we are making sweeping changes which will effect everything
dramatically, it is a lot cleaner to have one commit which makes the
switch, even though it acts as a synchronization point for development,
because then it is one commit which gets encountered in a 'git blame' (And
you can then do another blame starting at that one commit).

Posted by Dominic Hamon <dh...@twopensource.com>.
+1

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
It would be nice is we had a place where it is ok to make such changes, and a place for stable incremental changes.

-stable
-unstable

In absence of that, I agree with the consensus.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Cheers,