Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/06/25 11:46:48 UTC

Re: set of basic Samples (Was: Again - how do I make saxon 8 thedefault xslt transformer?)

David

Um, not sure about "contributing" - unless you mean
uploading to Wiki... there is nothing very magical about
these - as I said ... for me to understand something (and
be able to explain to someone else!) I usually need to strip
it down to its most basic components.  The Cocoon samples
are great, but are written by people *who already know what
they are doing* and tend to have a whole chunk of less obvious
stuff in the mix.  The idea of "one concept per topic" is an
attractive one.  For an example of a page that I have setup
before now, look at:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=FlowHelloWorld

The "comments" on these exist mostly in my head ('cause
I've had to work thru them and figure them out) but if any
one thinks there is a need for for VSS (very simple stuff)
and can add comments on the wiki page, then I guess
we should start this...

Derek

PS This was the intention of the "For Beginners" section
which was started by Hussayn Dabbous (hello?!)
but as has been pointed out below, that already is
out-of-date... maybe we MUST have a x.y.z header on
each page and add the caveat that "this page may be
out of date or not applicable if you are using a different
version!"

PPS Plea to Wiki maintainers - maybe we can also start
having a process whereby we can request for a page to
be marked as "redundant" and color-code it somehow?!

>>> crossley@apache.org 2004/06/25 11:16:58 AM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> To be honest, I am not sure the Wiki is the best place
> to start learning from... bear in mind that's its a free-
> for-all site, maintained on an ad-hoc basis (at best!).
>
> Certainly the leap from Cocoon 2.0 to 2.1.n has caused
> many wiki pages and 3rd party tutorials to date *very* fast.
> The wiki needs a heavy hand with pruning...
>
> For starting learning, I would always start with the main
> site and use the shipped samples - especially the simpler
> ones - as a basis for building.
>
> If you get stuck, and the wiki looks confused, ask here
> first!
>
> Derek
>
> PS - If you are asking a new question, or starting with a
> new idea, its a good idea to post to a new message thread.
>
> PPS - I can always send you my current "basic" directory
> which I add to on an ongoing basis with "really simple,
> one topic only" samples... usually stripped down from more
> complex Cocoon ones.

Oooh!!! Would it be possible to contribute that to Cocoon.

If each "concept" in Cocoon had a really basic sample
to portray it, then we could have a self-demonstrating
application. The best sort of documentation is that which
demonstrates the concept in action, describes its pieces,
and provides the code to show how it works.

The new "supersonic tour" block would provide a good model.
It could be copied to provide the infrastructure for a
"simple samples" block.

As a side-benefit, that provides a starter-kit for people
to build their own stuff on a strong foundation.

--David

believed to be clean.