Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/05/17 06:43:56 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] CouchDB 3.0.1 and 3.1.0 release plans

Hi there,
I took a look at your recent release and noticed a couple of issues. Be aware I'm not part of your project, and I'm missing a large part of your history, so these things may have been discussed before and are that way for good reasons.
- Your license file has an incorrect copyright line in the license appendix.
- Your notice file lists the copyright of 3rd party dependencies. This is not how a notice file works. You need to include relevant parts from ALv2 bundled code notice files and relocated copyrights. Relocated copyright only occurs when a 3rd party header is replaced during a software grant. [1]
- Your release contains code that is under the Erlang Public License. This is category B and as such can't normally be included in a source release in the form it's in. [2] I couldn't find any discussion on this. How was it decided that this code was OK to include?
Thanks,
Justin

P.S I'm not subscribed to this list so please CC me on any replies.

1. https://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [DISCUSS] CouchDB 3.0.1 and 3.1.0 release plans

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-05-17 3:06, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Justin, which line of that file?
>
> This one:
> "Copyright 2020 The Apache Foundation”
>
> It should be:
>   Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
>
> As it’s an instruction on how to apply the license to your own work.

PR up, needs +1 before merging from someone:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/2891

>> Will someone on dev@ volunteer to resolve this? Thanks.
>
> I’m happy to help if you need it just ask.

As the saying goes.... "Pull Requests welcome" :D Thanks for the offer.

-Joan "off to bed" Touzet

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-05-17 2:43, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi there,
> I took a look at your recent release and noticed a couple of issues. Be aware I'm not part of your project, and I'm missing a large part of your history, so these things may have been discussed before and are that way for good reasons.
> - Your license file has an incorrect copyright line in the license appendix.

Justin, which line of that file?

> - Your notice file lists the copyright of 3rd party dependencies. This is not how a notice file works. You need to include relevant parts from ALv2 bundled code notice files and relocated copyrights. Relocated copyright only occurs when a 3rd party header is replaced during a software grant. [1]

Will someone on dev@ volunteer to resolve this? Thanks.

> - Your release contains code that is under the Erlang Public License. This is category B and as such can't normally be included in a source release in the form it's in. [2] I couldn't find any discussion on this. How was it decided that this code was OK to include?

Looks like this was missed with the 2.0 import. Paul did the work in
2016 prior to the 2.0 release:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb-couch-log/commit/b6b766ddfbff8db789723689419ee6f634e752b8#diff-e7183b47c7155debfec662d667b6fcd4

https://github.com/cloudant/couchdb/commit/094ceae9fd81f1d71647728d4a2e583423618914

Paul, how do you want to proceed? Looks like it's just 2 files that we
can replace quickly and spin new releases, but we'll have to go back and
do a 2.3.2 as well, and expunge 2.3.1.

-Joan