Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/01/27 01:48:08 UTC

Some issues with] UIMA AS Version 2.3.1 Release Candidate 3

The License / Notice in the SVN Checkout doesn't match the License Notice in the
source distribution; both of them look not quite right.

The NOTICE file in the source checkout: it says copyright 2006-2010, should be
2008-2011?;
the one in the -source-release is missing the additional notices that are in the
source checkout

It's not clear to me why the source distribution includes Derby Notice (in the
source checkout); and the other Notices need confirmation that they're still
required.

The license in the SVN Checkout has many additional licenses; some of these are
needed (e.g. for Saxon); I'm not sure about the others (depends on what is being
distributed with the source).  The License in the -source-release only has the
Apache license.

-Marshall

Re: Some issues with] UIMA AS Version 2.3.1 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The Notice file for the binary distribution has different content from the
Apache 5.4.1 binary NOTICE file.

For instance, UIMA-AS Binary NOTICE talks about "Glassfish", while that is not
mentioned in the ActiveMQ 5.4.1 binary NOTICE file.  Where does the Glassfish
Notice come from or is it not needed?

Going the other way around, the ActiveMQ 5.4.1 binary Notice file has entries
for JmDNS (multicast domain name server), which we don't.  I think this is
because we're not shipping that part of activeMQ.  Can we have a file somewhere
in the UIMA-AS project (e.g., LicNoticeAnalysisActiveMQ.txt) that documents
things like this - e.g., that we're not including the JmDNS license/notice parts
from the ActiveMQ Binary lic/notice because we've excluded that part of ActiveMQ
from our binary release?

-Marshall

Re: Some issues with] UIMA AS Version 2.3.1 Release Candidate 3 - source-release top level release notes etc.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 1/26/2011 8:16 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Looks like these are missing.  They're located in the uimaj-as-distr project,
> which is not at the top level.
> I'm not sure how to fix this.  Some possibilities include merging the
> uima-as-distr project and the uima-as project (following the suggestion of Jukka
> in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1967

The other way to fix this I think, is to put all the things that should be in
the source-release.zip as top level files, in the uima-as project as top level
files.  So, in particular, the source-release versions of the License and Notice
files should be located there.  The source-release.zip assembly copies these to
the top level of the zip.

I recommend we merge the uima-as-distr project with the top level one, however
(the suggestion in UIMA-1967).  I can help do this if you want :-) - I did it
for the add-ons.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Some issues with] UIMA AS Version 2.3.1 Release Candidate 3 - top level README

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Source checkout is missing a basic README - should probably be a copy of what's
in the -source-release at the top.