Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Pavel Bortnovskiy <pb...@jefferies.com> on 2011/11/08 16:32:56 UTC

Date/Time Formatting

Hello:

Are there Derby built-in functions which can allow me to extract current date/time as integers as:
Time HHmmss: 103152
Date yyyyMMdd:  20111108

I could get as far as:

                    cast(current_time as VARCHAR(8)),
                    cast(current_date as VARCHAR(10)),

but I was unable to find a function similar to str_replace in Sybase to remove “:” and “-“

Thank you,
Pavel.

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email, including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited. In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ. Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

RE: Date/Time Formatting

Posted by Pavel Bortnovskiy <pb...@jefferies.com>.
Thank you, Rick, for your prompt response.
I was able to solve it in the meantime with:

                    year(current_date) * 10000 + month(current_date) * 100 + day(current_date) as "InsertDate",
                    hour(current_time) * 10000 + minute(current_time) * 100 + second(current_time) as "InsertTime",

But I was certainly hoping for a more elegant solution (wished there was a format date/time function)...

I don't see a builtin function which does what you want. You might be able to cobble together what you need using the LOCATE and SUBSTR functions, but the statement would probably look ugly. Alternatively, you can register your own user defined formatting function using the CREATE FUNCTION statement:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/ref-single.html#crefsqlj95081

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Re: Date/Time Formatting