Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/16 20:14:07 UTC

Re: Confluent Schema Registry Compatibility config

Hi Folks,

I was reading docs on Confluent Schema Registry about Compatibility :
https://docs.confluent.io/platform/current/schema-registry/avro.html#compatibility-types

I was confused with "BACKWARDS" vs "BACKWARDS_TRANSITIVE".

If we have 3 schemas X, X-1, X-2 and configure a schema registry with
compatibility = "BACKWARDS". When we registered the X-1 schema it must have
been compared against the X-2 schema. When we register Xth schema it must
have been compared against X-1 schema. So by transitivity Xth Schema would
also be compatible with X-2.

So I am wondering what is the difference between "BACKWARDS" vs
"BACKWARDS_TRANSITIVE"? Any example would be really helpful.

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

Re: Confluent Schema Registry Compatibility config

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Mayuresh,

since this is a Confluent-specific question and does not relate to
Apache Kafka, I think it is better to ask your question in Confluent's
community forum: https://forum.confluent.io/

There is even a Schema Registry category.

Best,
Bruno