Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Benoit Dissert <be...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/05 16:01:14 UTC

[licence poi 3.0.1] Do POI becomes GPL ?

POI 3.0.1 has been released on 5th july, and is distributed since this day.
In poi-scratchpad-3.0.1-FINAL-20070705.jar, there is a class in GLPv3.
That means the whole distribution, ie POI 3.0.1 is in GPLv3.

But as explained here :
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
the Apache licence is not compatible with GPL.

Do a new distribution extracted from the SVN, will be only packaged without
GPL, or
will POI be GPL until the end of times ?

Regards, Benoît

Re: [licence poi 3.0.1] Do POI becomes GPL ?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Benoit Dissert wrote:
> Actually, this class may be packaged seperatedly, in a jar containing
> only itself, that would be in GPL, and the rest (including scratchpad)
> would be Apache licenced.

If we haven't replaced the class by 3.0.2, I suspect we will end up doing
something like that. That said, we are aiming to replace it soon :)

Nick

Re: [licence poi 3.0.1] Do POI becomes GPL ?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> Well, we do have a GPL header in org.apache.poi.hdgf.LZW4HDGF.

Yup, that class is GPL v3 licenced. It's a straight java port of something
out of vsdump.

I asked the author of vsdump if he'd consider dual licensing it as ASL/GPL
(it was GPL v2), but he wasn't keen on that. He changed the license to GPL
v3, so it could be used with other apache code within poi.

The class in question only supports decompressing visio LZW, and isn't
very sane Java (since it's basically c!). If you take a look at
 	http://poi.apache.org/hdgf/
you'll see that the first thing on the todo is to replace it :)

So currently, yes, there is one class in the poi scratchpad (and only the
scratchpad) that's gpl v3. Very soon, it'll be gone (ideally it'd have
gone by now, but I've been a bit busy). It's not ideal, but the licence
notice distributed with poi 3.0.1 does state this. If it's a problem, just
zap hdgf from your scratchpad for now. The problem will be gone shortly,
even sooner if someone wants to help me re-implement the crazy visio lzw
engine :)

Nick

Re: [licence poi 3.0.1] Do POI becomes GPL ?

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Well, we do have a GPL header in org.apache.poi.hdgf.LZW4HDGF.
I'm sure that Nick Burch, the person who created this file, will
clarify the situation.
It was a big commit with initial support for Visio files and this GPL
header might be a a copy/paste error.

Regards,
Yegor

Posted by Benoit Dissert <be...@gmail.com>.
Actually, it is compatible (only with GPL v3, not v2), but :

"The Apache Software Foundation does not allow its own projects to
distribute software under licenses more
restrictive than the Apache License, and the Free Software Foundation does
not distribute software under the Apache License."
(copied from http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html)

Then the official distribution of POI MUST not be in GPL, even if
compatibility is possible.

Besides, the only part in GPL (except what come from POI CVS) is a little
class used in the "hdgf" section
that could be easily rewriten, or, the "hdgf" part may be packaged
separetadly, to be in GPL without the rest of POI.

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
On Thursday 06 September 2007 00:01:14 Benoit Dissert wrote:
> POI 3.0.1 has been released on 5th july, and is distributed since this day.
> In poi-scratchpad-3.0.1-FINAL-20070705.jar, there is a class in GLPv3.
> That means the whole distribution, ie POI 3.0.1 is in GPLv3.
>
> But as explained here :
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
> the Apache licence is not compatible with GPL.

Apache License, Version 2.0 is explicitly listed as compatible with the GPL,
on GNU's own web site:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Daniel