Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com> on 2002/12/21 02:40:16 UTC

Schema normalized values (again)

Hi all,

I noticed that the current DOM Level 3 Core Working Draft and the
current Xerces 2 implementation conflict in the area of schema
normalized value default settings.

By "schema normalized value", I am refering to the definition of
"normalized value" in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#section-White-Space-Normalization-during-Validation.

By default, Xerces exposes the schema normalized value.  See:
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/features.html#validation.schema.normalized-value

However, DOM Level 3 Core has a conflicting default value.  Under
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#DOMConfiguration it states:

"datatype-normalization"

true
     [required]
     Let the validation process do its datatype normalization that is
defined in the used schema language. Note that this does not affect the
DTD normalization operation which always takes place, in accordance to
[XML 1.0].
false
     [required] (default)
Disable datatype normalization. The XML 1.0 attribute value
normalization always occurs though.

So either DOM will need to change their default or Xerces will.  I think
the choice that DOM made is more reasonable for a default.  Does this
mean that you all will be changing the Xerces default value to match DOM's?

Comments?

-Edwin

Re: Schema normalized values (again)

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Edwin,

Edwin Goei wrote:
> I noticed that the current DOM Level 3 Core Working Draft and the
> current Xerces 2 implementation conflict in the area of schema
> normalized value default settings.

Yes, default value for Xerces and DOM features are different, however it
does not matter: Xerces implementation of DOM Level 3 does set the
default value of "datatype-normalization" to false (internally we set
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/features.html#validation.schema.normalized-value
to false).

Basically there is a mapping of DOM parameters to Xerces features, and
we plan to add documentation on the mapping (explaining how it works).

Elena Litani / IBM Toronto