Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Duane Gran <ra...@spinweb.net> on 2000/04/24 23:57:33 UTC

potential load from virtual hosts

I read through the FAQ, and in particular the documentation in CVS and noticed
something about Virtual Hosting and Tomcat.  It appears that you need an
entirely separate JVM instance.

On one hand this is good, because you isolate problems from each Virtual Host,
but on the other hand it poses some problems for scalability.  A typical JVM
will occupy 16-32mb of RAM at a time, so this is a burden.  Our system is a
Sun E250 with 256mb of RAM.

We have roughly 25 Virtual Hosts for our servlet hosting and the service is
growing rapidly.  We currently use JServ, but we want to transition to Tomcat
in order to have JSP and all the other goodies that Tomcat offers.

Can anyone shed some light on this quandry?  Should we wait for Tomcat to
offer a shared JVM environment, or am I overestimating the load that separate
JVMs would impose?

Duane Gran
spinweb.net