Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@Bspark.com> on 2000/10/30 15:10:44 UTC

RE: Re[2]: RFC - three new packages for struts ... included (Mes sage 1 / 3)

Hi, Since we are on the subject, how does your package compare to Log4J?
(http://www.log4j.org, it's an open source package originally written by
IBM). I have used log4j a lot this year, and find it quite fast
(low-oeverhead) and powerful. Since I need logging on the EJB side as well,
I would generally be more inclined (especially given that log4j works so
well) to use a non-struts specific logging package, unless there were some
significant advantages to using a logging package built-into struts...

Re[2]: RFC - three new packages for struts ... included (Message 1 / 3)

Posted by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de>.
Hi all, thank you to Eduardo,

Re: RFC - three new packages for struts ... included (Message 1 / 3)

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
THis location is now live

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr047/index.html

- eduard/o

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
re: status...

I just checked and, as far as I can see, the logging API will be in
public review later this week (if not later today). When that happens it
will be available off the JCP home page (http://java.sun.com/jcp), but
I'll check again later and send you a direct URL.  It will probably be
available at:

	http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr047/index.html

The logging API is part of Merlin, the next release of J2SE.  I don't
know if there are any other specific dates related to that that are
public at the moment.  You can get more details by sending mail to the
feedback email address.  It would probably be useful to point out in
your mail the relationship with tomcat/struts logging.

I do not track the logging API in any detail, although I know that IBM
is one of the experts in that expert group, so I'm sure that the IBM4J
experience has been considered.

There is a low-volume mailing list for JCP-related announcements,
jsr-announce@java.sun.com.  You can register, for example, via
way to keep track of this type of activities.

hope this helps,

	- eduard/o