Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/28 16:58:32 UTC

change repository url

has somebody of you a script (perl/python ideally) for changing the
repository url in the wc? we are not able to compile the proposed
branch on windows ...
i would also include one in the tools till the branch is merged in.

it should just cover the standard case:
one url in all entries files.

Re: change repository url

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org>.
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:27:15PM -0600, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:48:40PM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> >
> > It it my intention to merge in the issue-951 changes this weekend.
>
> Will this handle svn:externals as well?
>
> florin

Not this weekend. :-)

What this thread (and another concurrent thread) are touching on is
the disconnect between the URLs that we are using to refer to these
repositories and their logical names.

Perhaps we should support a new schema:  repo:name:/path

The name would be resolved to a URL via ~/.subversion configuration.

Benefits include, but are not limited to:

1.) O(1) svn switch --relocate.  Actually, we'll probably want to keep
    the crawling version around; people who just want to move the pointer
    can simply edit the config file.
2.) implicit support for svn:externals, even in a heterogenous work
    environment, where one developer needs http: and another needs svn:
3.) less typing, better usability ("what was the URL for the tomcat repo?")

Drawbacks: WCs are not self-contained; tar up a WC and ship it to your
grandmother, and it might not work for her.  We could engineer some of the
pain out of this by prompting for URLs if we enounter unknown repo names...
Note: WCs are not *reallY* self-contained, anyway, since URLs are interpreted
by local resolvers, local DNS servers, local proxies, local routers, etc...
Also, anyone who *wanted* to make a "universal" WC could --relocate it to
a "real URL".

I'm sure there are other drawbacks that don't come immediately to mind;
I have been drinking, after all. (And it's not even 5PM yet!)

--ben

Re: change repository url

Posted by Florin Iucha <fl...@iucha.net>.
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:27:15PM -0600, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:48:40PM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:58:32AM -0800, solo turn wrote:
> > > has somebody of you a script (perl/python ideally) for changing the
> > > repository url in the wc? we are not able to compile the proposed
> > > branch on windows ...
> >
> > It it my intention to merge in the issue-951 changes this weekend.
>
> Will this handle svn:externals as well?

Answering my own question: no, it will not, because the externals are
stored in the repository. Bummer.

The only way that would work is to have "relative" externals: one
could specify the path to the external module relative to the current
path. Would that work?

florin

--

"NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator."

Re: change repository url

Posted by Florin Iucha <fl...@iucha.net>.

Re: change repository url

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com> writes:

> Ahhhhh, I get it now.  Hmmmm.  I sure would like repo sync'ing though.
>
> Could I do that manually?  use svnadmin dump at home, save the output
> on my laptop, bring it to work and use svnadmin load?

Yes.  Run 'svnadmin dump -rX:Y --incremental' from one repository,
then 'svnadmin load' the dumpfile into the other repository.

Re: change repository url

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
In a message dated: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:29:32 EST
Garrett Rooney said:

>Paul Lussier wrote:

>>Is what you're saying that these two URLs are the same physical location,
>>but the wc moved from accessing it via one URL to accessing it via the other?
>>
>>(i.e. you went from home to work, and now the repo is the opposite
>>place relative to where you moved to?)
>
>yes, that's exactly the kind of situation he's refering to.
>
>it could also mean you're connecting to the same physical repository,
>but via a different ra layer.

Ahhhhh, I get it now.  Hmmmm.  I sure would like repo sync'ing though.

Could I do that manually?  use svnadmin dump at home, save the output
on my laptop, bring it to work and use svnadmin load?

Sure would be ugly and tedious, but it might get me what I want until
such a time (post 1.0) some with the proper skills feels it's worth
working on :)
--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: change repository url

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Paul Lussier wrote:

>In a message dated: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:16:22 EST
>mark benedetto king said:
>

>>No.  For that you need respository synchronization.  This change is
>>mainly to handle cases like:
>>
>>@work: URL: http://svn.eng.foo.com/repos/svn
>>
>>@home: URL: http://www.foo.com/svn
>>

>Is what you're saying that these two URLs are the same physical location,
>but the wc moved from accessing it via one URL to accessing it via the other?
>
>(i.e. you went from home to work, and now the repo is the opposite
>place relative to where you moved to?)

yes, that's exactly the kind of situation he's refering to.

it could also mean you're connecting to the same physical repository,
but via a different ra layer.

-garrett

Re: change repository url

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.

Re: change repository url

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org>.

Re: change repository url

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
In a message dated: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:48:40 EST
mark benedetto king said:

>It it my intention to merge in the issue-951 changes this weekend.

In the issue tracker wrt this patch, it states:

	it's what you run in your working copy when the repository
	has changed name/location, but not content.

Could this be used to keep two repos in sync?  I'm thinking of a
scenario where I have a repo at home and at work, with a wc on my
laptop which goes between the two locations.

If I check out initially from my home repo, but make changes while at
work, I'd like to commit them while there.  So, I could run
'svn --relocate' before committing at work.  Then, at home, I could
run relocate again, I commit there.

Obviously I'd probably not want to commit too much to one without
also committing to the other, for fear of getting too out of sync.
But I see this as a poor-man's 'distributed repo' ala BK.
(obviously it doesn't scale as BK's feature does, however, since I'm
thinking of only scenarios where I'm the only user, it seems it may
be possible.)

Any comments?

Seeya,
Paul

Re: change repository url

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, February 28, 2003 12:48 PM -0500 mark benedetto king
<mb...@boredom.org> wrote:

> It it my intention to merge in the issue-951 changes this weekend.

Woo-hoo!  -- justin

Re: change repository url

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org>.