Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2014/03/10 11:35:24 UTC

A Beta 4.1 problem

My main use for OpenOffice is for writing, with less frequent use for preparation of presentations. At present, I'm writing and expect to have no presentation preparation for about six months (but one never knows).

I have noticed a tendency for OO 4.1 Beta to hang intermittently (perhaps twice a day) when text is selected for cutting or copying. I cannot be more specific at present, but mention the matter so that others may be on the lookout for the problem. The work I'm writing/editing is one .odt file of plain text (book layout), 90K words, no illustrations, one Table of Contents, 26 chapters each in its own section (to allow coloured background to help with editing/writing, displaying obvious movement between chapters). This instability was not present in 4.0.1 to the same extent (perhaps once a month). If I can isolate a definite sequence that causes the problem I'll post again.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: A Beta 4.1 problem

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:46:54 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > My main use for OpenOffice is for writing, with less frequent use for preparation of presentations. At present, I'm writing and expect to have no presentation preparation for about six months (but one never knows).
> >
> > I have noticed a tendency for OO 4.1 Beta to hang intermittently (perhaps twice a day) when text is selected for cutting or copying. I cannot be more specific at present, but mention the matter so that others may be on the lookout for the problem. The work I'm writing/editing is one .odt file of plain text (book layout), 90K words, no illustrations, one Table of Contents, 26 chapters each in its own section (to allow coloured background to help with editing/writing, displaying obvious movement between chapters). This instability was not present in 4.0.1 to the same extent (perhaps once a month). If I can isolate a definite sequence that causes the problem I'll post again.
> >

> What OS/version are you running?   I don't have an easy solution,
> regardless, but if we're looking for a pattern, we can start with
> that.
>
> -Rob
>
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Sorry I forgot to post that, Rob. I'm so used to Forum, where these details are in one's sig.

I'm running Xubuntu 13.10 (64 bit) on 2 core AMD 4GB RAM.

It's not a serious problem for me, as my Ctrl S fingers twitch automatically after every edit. I don't think it need be flagged as a show-stopper. When the hang happens the CPU goes to 100% (probably one entire core). I will willingly run any diagnostic version of OO 4.1, if required.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: A Beta 4.1 problem

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.