Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2012/07/11 20:22:37 UTC

Maven site markup language

Hi,

I set up the new Maven site using Markdown because we already had one
document in Markdown syntax. I think before we add more documentation
we should decide for a Doxia module [1] before it's too late :)

With Doxia we have the following alternatives:

XDoc is the old Maven 1 format that is still used by many Apache
projects. It uses XML which makes it a bit unpleasant to use,
especially for code examples.

APT is the main Maven 2 format. We use it extensively at work, but
it's the worst plain-text markup language I've ever used. You can get
used to it though and it works.

Markdown is pretty popular on Github. It has its weird corners and
the Doxia module seems pretty young. The error messages it generates
weren't very helpful to me and breadcrumbs are broken (do we need
them?).

Confluence/Textile has the advantage that you *might* be able to copy
and paste stuff from the wiki to the Maven site. I don't know how
well the module works.

So, which one do you want to use?

Regards,
  Matthias

[1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/modules/index.html

Re: Maven site markup language

Posted by Rahul <rs...@xebia.com>.
I would say Markdown could be the way forward. Apache is currently in
process of phasing out Confluence and adopting a new CMS
(/http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html/) for wiki documentation which is
based on Markdown. Adopting markdown would have the plus of having the
maven site and the other documentation in the same format.

regards
Rahul

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
We've been using APT for Hadoop. It's very simple. The only limitation is the inability to do custom styling. Don't think that is a big requirement here.

Maven has moved beyond XDoc for various reasons. Not sure if we want to go back.

Don't know about Markdown. Breadcrumbs aren't needed, but build error messages should be good enough I think.

Confluence - the downside is the docs and site versioning which is very painful.

So, in summary, +1 for APT, it is simple and it works.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com>.
Yeah, we didn't quite reach consensus there. I wanted to investigate APT,
based on Vinod's positive referral and Pat's anti-Markdown stance, but I
wasn't locked in to it yet.

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,