Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Libor Jelinek <lj...@virtage.com> on 2016/03/23 22:37:17 UTC

"Not handled exceptions" inspection?

Hello Groovy community!
Is there some tool like groovyc warning / IDEA inspections / CodeNarc that
will report situation when some method declares exception but you (a method
user) don't re-declare nor catch it.

I find it extremely useful. Because if for Groovy are exceptions are
unchecked, it effectively negates all benefits of have exceptions. To be
honest exceptions are the only part of Java that I really miss in Groovy.

Thanks for all suggestions
Libor

Re: "Not handled exceptions" inspection?

Posted by David Dawson <da...@simplicityitself.com>.
To take a different point of view. The debate was had, checked exceptions
*lost*.

Every language designed since Java was released and this was seen as a
problem has explicitly removed checked exceptions. Go event went to the
point of removing exceptions altogether.

Checked exceptions mixed the problems of *documenting failure conditions* and
*recovery.  *These aren't the same thing, and what happened in java is that
unrecoverable problems (network failures, io problems) are thrown as
exceptions, alongside the recoverable ones. This debased the potential
value of checked exceptions.

Java got it wrong, and is stuck with the legacy of that decision. Witness
the ugliness of lambda streams and IO. Yuck.

I loved it when spring allowed my to generically handle exceptions through
it's runtime exception based wrappers. They still put them on the method
sigs, so you get documentation.  Groovy took that to the next level,
implementing that across the entire runtime.   This was a *good decision*

To the original point. I think it might be informative to understand what
the use case is. A redesign of the components will probably mean you can
get the benefit you want without bringing checked exceptions back into
Groovy.

--

David Dawson | CEO | Simplicity Itself

Tel +44 7866 011 256
Skype: davidadawson
david.dawson@simplicityitself.com
http://www.simplicityitself.com

Re: "Not handled exceptions" inspection?

Posted by Schalk Cronjé <ys...@gmail.com>.

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

Re: "Not handled exceptions" inspection?

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.