Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2009/09/26 08:29:09 UTC

Re: Query about CONFIGURATION-390, a threading problem in commons-configuration reloading

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Stephen and Sherry Kinser schrieb:
>> What's the activity on resolving CONFIGURATION-390? I see it's
>> slated to be
>> fixed in 1.7, but how likely is that to happen? This threading
>> issue is
>> killing me. I'd rather not have to synchronize every every
>> configuration
>> call just because I need to be able to reload the configuration
>> when the
>> file changes. Is the plan to still support the thread-safety claim
>> that Oliver
>> Heger made back in 2006 (
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg14490.html
>> )?
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen Kinser
>
> I cannot promise when I come to it, but I am going to have a look at
> this issue. The goal is still that read-only access to a
> configuration should be thread-safe.

I am running into this into production. I will have to attack this
over the weekend. I'm sure it won't be pretty. At least on the 2.0
branch we can start using read/write locks. In 1.7 it will have to use
synchronize(), probably in many places.

Ralph