Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "cbertu81@libero.it" <cb...@libero.it> on 2012/01/04 14:47:42 UTC

Migration from 0.7 to 1.0

Hi,
I'm going to migrate from Cassandra 0.7 to 1.0 in production and I'd like to
know the best way to do it ...

"Upgrading from version 0.7.1+ or 0.8.2+ can be done with a rolling restart,
one node at a time.  (0.8.0 or 0.8.1 are NOT network-compatible with 1.0:
upgrade to the most recent 0.8 release first.) You do not need to bring down
the whole cluster at once.  - After upgrading, run nodetool scrub against each
node before running repair, moving nodes, or adding new ones."

So what I'd do is for each node to ...

1 - run nodetool drain
2 - stop cassandra process
3 - start the new cassandra 1.0
4 - run nodetool scrub on the node

Is it right? Do i miss something (I will backup everything before the
upgrade)? Should I worry for some kind of particular/known problems? As far as
maintenance is concerned, is enough to run a repair every x? (x <
GCGraceSeconds)

Best regards,
Carlo

Re: Migration from 0.7 to 1.0

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Sounds good.

You can take some extra steps when doing a rolling restart see http://blog.milford.io/2011/11/rolling-upgrades-for-cassandra/

Also make sure repair *does not* run until all the nodes have been upgraded.

> Do i miss something (I will backup everything before the
> upgrade)?
I'm paranoid, so I would  upgrade 1 node and let it soak in for a few hours. Nothing like upgrading an entire cluster and then discovering a problem.

> As far as
> maintenance is concerned, is enough to run a repair every x? (x <
> GCGraceSeconds)
once for each node with in that time frame http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Frequency_of_nodetool_repair

Cheers

Aaron Morton