Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hari Om <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2003/07/28 23:37:18 UTC

[users@httpd] 8009 Port....?

At which point is Port 8009 (defined in workers.properties) is used?

GURU's correct me if I am wrong. Here is what I think:

1) User request jsp page via http://localhost/login.jsp
2) Apache sees that it is JSP/Servlet, and OPENS PORT 8009 for TOMCAT to
handle that.
3)Tomcat recives that via 8009 and executes it in PORT 8080

Please coeerct me if I am wrong.

THANKS!

Re: [users@httpd] 8009 Port....?

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.
Hari Om wrote:
> At which point is Port 8009 (defined in workers.properties) is used?
>
> GURU's correct me if I am wrong. Here is what I think:
>
> 1) User request jsp page via http://localhost/login.jsp
> 2) Apache sees that it is JSP/Servlet, and OPENS PORT 8009 for TOMCAT to
> handle that.
> 3)Tomcat recives that via 8009 and executes it in PORT 8080
>
> Please coeerct me if I am wrong.

While I can't correct you or state you are correct, however I believe
you have steps 1 and 2 correct. Step 3 appears incorrect.

Step 3 may not even take place, but I could be wrong. My guess is that
once Apache and Tomcat have a channel open at 8009, Tomcat processes the
JSP/Servlet request and returns to Apache an HTML (or other desired
content type) response to complete the client request.

This question is better asked on the Tomcat-User list(see
jakarta.apache.org for more information).

Tim

Re: 8009 Port....?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
The default for an Apache connector is port 8009.  It can be any port
you wish.

Tomcat binds to the port, not Apache.

Apache contacts Tomcat on that port.  Communications from Tomcat to
Apache via the connector happen on that port, not 8080.  You can easily
run a production system without 8080 defined at all.

John

RE: 8009 Port....?

Posted by Mike Curwen <gb...@gb-im.com>.
I'm not a connector expert, but I can tell you that 3) is wrong.

port 8080 is just a port that Tomcat listens to in 'standalone' mode.
So if you request http://localhost:8080/login.jsp then Apache Web Server
is right out of the picture and it is 100% Tomcat.

If Tomcat receives a request for a resource through a connector (say on
port 8009) , then there is no need for Tomcat to "re-send" the request
for the resource to another port.  Tomcat already HAS The request.