Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com> on 2006/08/16 08:03:36 UTC

[general] svn:eol-style = native (LF vs CRLF)

Does anyone have objections to setting the svn:eol-style to native for
*.java, *.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.xml as we move forward with updates and changes?
I believe this is the suggested setting for committers [1][2]. The only file
types that I know of that must have a specific line ending are *.dsp and
*.dsw, which must be CRLF.

Some files are already set this way and others are not, but if we go about
updating these as we move forward, this should normalize checkouts for
everyone.

-Nathan Beyer

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt

Re: [general] svn:eol-style = native (LF vs CRLF)

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Does anyone have objections to setting the svn:eol-style to native for
> *.java, *.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.xml as we move forward with updates and changes?
> I believe this is the suggested setting for committers [1][2]. The only file
> types that I know of that must have a specific line ending are *.dsp and
> *.dsw, which must be CRLF.
>

> Some files are already set this way and others are not, but if we go about
> updating these as we move forward, this should normalize checkouts for
> everyone.

I do not have any objections, but I have not much experience with SVN
to answer Alexey's concern properly.

I usually do not use SVN directly, but import the history into the local
repository (Git), which has only unix LF line endings. So, to me personally,
it does not matter if the eol-style is set to "LF" or "native".

Nathan, to make the conversion easier, I have attached a script for conversion.

Re: [general] svn:eol-style = native (LF vs CRLF)

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200603.mbox/%3c442AF8CD.6040004@gmail.com%3e

On 8/16/06, Alexey Petrenko wrote:

> How this option will work?
> I understand that it will convert all the sources to system dependent
> line-endings on local machine. But what line-endings will have
> repository in this case?
>
> Is there any option to set LFs (Unix-style) line-endings by default?
>
> SY, Alexey
>
> 2006/8/16, Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>:
> > Does anyone have objections to setting the svn:eol-style to native for
> > *.java, *.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.xml as we move forward with updates and
> changes?
> > I believe this is the suggested setting for committers [1][2]. The only
> file
> > types that I know of that must have a specific line ending are *.dsp and
> > *.dsw, which must be CRLF.
> >

> > Some files are already set this way and others are not, but if we go
> about
> > updating these as we move forward, this should normalize checkouts for
> > everyone.
> >

> > -Nathan Beyer
> >

> > [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn
> >
> > [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt
> >

> --
> Alexey A. Petrenko
> Intel Middleware Products Division

Stepan Mishura

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
How this option will work?

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I've used the following script:

find modules -name \*.def -exec dos2unix {} \;
patch -p0 < patch.diff

It's much faster then starting Eclipse :)

SY, Alexey

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
A kind reminder to commiters, please modify the *config* file of your local
svn.
"C:\Documents and Settings\$username\Application Data\Subversion\config" on
winXP
and "/home/$username/.subversion/conf/config" on Linux.

just add content described in [1] as Nathan mentioned in order to
automatically set the prop when commit a new file.

[1]http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt

Posted by Ilya Okomin <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ilya Okomin <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/13, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>:
> I noticed that there are some .java files in security module has set
> the svn:eol-style to native, that is, a EOL marker will be added to every
> line of this file when commit to repository. And when you checkout them, the
> EOL marker will be replaced according your os, CRLF on windows and LF on
> Unix.
>
> so, I think you should create and apply patch on the same platform because
> diff file can not handle the EOL marker :(
As far as I know Ilya experienced this problem on Windows platform
without switching to Linux or elsewhere.

SY, Alexey

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ilya Okomin <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 16 August 2006 at 1:03, "Nathan Beyer" <nb...@kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have objections to setting the svn:eol-style to native for
> *.java, *.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.xml as we move forward with updates and
> changes?

Depends what you mean.  Changing eol-style should be done as a separate
change not at the same time as a non-property change to avoid confusing
any diff tools and to allow diffs to show details of the "real" changes.

Personally, I think I'd rather we fix them in one-hit rather than trying
to do it bit-by-bit as we make changes.

-Mark.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> +1

+1 as well.

> On Aug 16, 2006, at 2:03 AM, Nathan Beyer wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have objections to setting the svn:eol-style to native for
>> *.java, *.c, *.h, *.cpp, *.xml as we move forward with updates and
>> changes?
>> I believe this is the suggested setting for committers [1][2]. The
>> only file
>> types that I know of that must have a specific line ending are *.dsp and
>> *.dsw, which must be CRLF.
>>

>> Some files are already set this way and others are not, but if we go
>> about
>> updating these as we move forward, this should normalize checkouts for
>> everyone.
>>

>> -Nathan Beyer
>>

>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn
>>
>> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt

Stefano.

Re: [general] svn:eol-style = native (LF vs CRLF)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1