Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jan Houtsma <ja...@houtsma.net> on 2003/11/07 08:40:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Parallel installation on Redhat?

Hello,

I want to try the newest version of Apache to see if it fixes my
"hanging processes without active connections" problem. I have the
default 18 month old 2.0.40 rpm (called httpd on RH9).

My question: If i get the tar ball and compile it, can i do a
'make install' without any risk that it will overwrite the redhat
files, like /usr/sbin/httpd, the init.d/rc files, the conf files etc...?
For example install everything in /opt or something?

In other words, can i install completely in parallel and just start
the other one instead of the redhat version?

Does the latest version work just like that with the redhat installed
base, like php 4.2.2., glibc 2.3.2. etc...?

Jan Houtsma