Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jay Askren <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/27 15:42:57 UTC

Netbeans

I was wondering if there is a way to run an Apache Felix app inside of
Netbeans.

Jay

Re: Netbeans

Posted by Jay Askren <ja...@gmail.com>.
Mostly, I'm used to using Eclipse and I want to try out Netbeans.  I've
heard alot of good things about it and this is a good opportunity to try it
out.  I'm also interested in the Maven and Mercurial support.  Plus,
Netbeans has a swing designer and a pretty good profiler.

Jay

Re: Netbeans

Posted by Erik Peterson <ep...@ardec.com>.

Re: Netbeans

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
I use NetBeans to develop and debug OSGi apps based on Felix all the
time. After all the OSGi based application is a Java SE application, and
NetBeans has a very rich support for such application development. These
are the steps:

1. Create a Java SE project.
2. Add felix.jar to classpath.
3. Set org.apache.felix.main.Main as the main-class in your project, if
you want to launch the program from NetBeans.
4. Set break points in your bundle and you are ready to go.

I don't think there exists any OSGi manifest editor in NetBeans as of
now (it may change soon, given that GlassFish is now OSGi-ed and both
GlassFish and NetBeans are open source projects where the significant
contribution comes from Sun Microsystems), but I don't see this a
show-stopper, as I use maven-bundle-plugin [1] to generate all my OSGi
manifest headers.

Thanks,
Sahoo

[1] http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html