Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/06/14 16:42:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] The future of the Meiyo component

Hi all guys,
I invested a little of my spare time on rearranging stuff on Meiyo and
put it in a decent condition, what is needed is the following:

 * involve more people, technical review are more than accepted; feel
free to discuss improvement and commit!
 * take a decision:
    - merging parts in different existing components;
    - releasing it as a new component; in this case, we have to
promote it as a proper component and we already agreed a new name is
needed.

WDYT? Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
All the best,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] The future of the Meiyo component

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I like commons-classpath.  This way, if we want to add more to this
library with respect to classpath stuff, we can.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Seb!!!
the new sandbox component doesn't have any relation with Clazz, since
they have different purposes.
Looks like Clazz aims to manipulate classes, the new one just is
limited on visited classes and intercept
AnnotatedElements/Annotations; one usage scenario could be, for
example, visiting JPA Entities and building HQL statements.

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi James,
good point, I agree. Feel free to play with the codebase - it is in a
decent form in the way that people can be able to extend/modify it -
and I'm more than pleased to provide any kind of info is not reported.
What I still need to do, is a short user guide where explaining how
stuff work, but TestCases should provide intuitive suggestions.
Thanks a lot for your time, all the best!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
I think so, until democracy is adopted, majority always wins, so let's
rename it to commons-classpath! :)
thank you all for the feedbacks and support, have a nice day!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Torsten!!!

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,
(take in consideration that due to my local time I'm sleepy to death)
what about commons-scanner? At the end of the day, scanning is the
only thing that this new component does :P
Chat tomorrow, have a nice day!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Simone Tripodi
<si...@apache.org> wrote:

> @James: didn't perform any integration test in different application
> servers, apologizes :( Do you have any suggestion about how to
> automate them? It would be nice having them running just launching
> 'mvn test' but I don't have a idea yet how to do it.

I mainly was wondering if you have used it in an application server
environment.  It might be helpful to construct a little simple
JSP-based test harness in the project that folks can just drop into
their application server of choice.

Re: [DISCUSS] The future of the Meiyo component

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi again guys!!!
You can't immagine how you make me feel happy just speaking about the
new component :)

@Matt: got your POV. Such kind of example you're asking for doesn't
exist (yet!),I'll add it ASAP (now I'm playing a little with graph);

@James: didn't perform any integration test in different application
servers, apologizes :( Do you have any suggestion about how to
automate them? It would be nice having them running just launching
'mvn test' but I don't have a idea yet how to do it.

So, if it is fine for you, I can proceed to renaming it, ok? :)
Just let me know, have a nice day!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM, James Carman

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 14, 2011, at 14:15, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Simone Tripodi
> <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all guys,
>> I invested a little of my spare time on rearranging stuff on Meiyo and
>> put it in a decent condition, what is needed is the following:
>>
>>  * involve more people, technical review are more than accepted; feel
>> free to discuss improvement and commit!
>>  * take a decision:
>>    - merging parts in different existing components;
>>    - releasing it as a new component; in this case, we have to
>> promote it as a proper component and we already agreed a new name is
>> needed.
>>
>> WDYT? Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
>
> Can we go ahead and decide the (deliberately bland) name of the
> sandbox component?  Obvious (to me) candidates include:
>
> * [scancp]
> * [cpscan]
> * [classpath]

Classpath is nice.