Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/09 22:05:28 UTC

MyFaces support for Facelets

Until now, most people are using the WIKI[1] for getting myfaces to
work with facelets. I was wondering if we want to make MyFaces include
support for facelets natively. This should be able to be done in such
a way to prevent problems for those that do not use facelets.

Option 1)
Add everything to tomahawk.jar including the TagHandler classes and
taglib.xml file(s).

This is easiest, and will not cause issues since non-facelet users
will not be using those classes, and therefore if they don't have
facelets in their classpath, it shouldn't matter.

Option 2)
Create a new myfaces jar file (tomahawk-facelets-1.1.2.jar for
example) that contains only the code and configuration necessary to
"plug" tomahawk into facelets.

This is possibly more elegant but more of a pain to setup.

Option 3)
Maintain all this at jsf-comp.

This works, but new users may not know about jsf-comp and it is harder
to stay in sync with facelet and myfaces version changes (since it is
not tied into the release cycle).

Since facelets hasn't changed the taglib.xml structure at all, facelet
version should not be a major issue. This would also make issues like
what tree2 had a mute point since we could include component handlers
built in to translate any "non-standard" logic in the Tag classes.

This methodology could be applied to the sandbox as well. Once there
is some code in SVN I would think myfaces developers could easily
maintain their configuration for their components as well since there
would be examples from other components to learn from (so even
developers without facelets experience shouldn't have any issues).

What do you think?
-Andrew

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Use_Facelets_with_Tomahawk

Re: MyFaces support for Facelets

Posted by Ryan Wynn <bi...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of packaged support for Facelets.  Along the same
lines I also really like the idea of packaged support for Shale Clay.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-70

packaging could follow suit with the facelets solution.

Re: MyFaces support for Facelets

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we'll want to make it a separate jar and project because
> facelets depends on JSF 1.2 RI and the Glassfish EL jars.   And maybe
> JSP 2.1 as well.   Those don't need to be dependencies for standard
> tomahawk use.

In case it's not clear, that's my vote for option 2 :-)

Re: Too many components (ADF?)

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think you should post that to the ADF faces user list.

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Calendar bug in 1.1.1?

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
See this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.myfaces.user/19435/focus=19435

Cosma

Calendar bug in 1.1.1?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Part of the release notes will be what version of facelets that
particular tomahawk release is compatible with.  We will probably just
try to keep in sync with the most current stable facelets release.
You could always rebuild from SVN and switch in a prior (or custom)
taglib xml file.

Plus if Adam is correct, it doesn't sound like it will be much of an issue.

Sean

Too many components (ADF?)

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I don't see these as significant advantages to making it a separate
> JAR.  None of these should be marked as required dependencies for
> standard tomahawk use - they should all be marked as "provided"
> scope, which avoids the issue.

I agreee. Why not include the facelets config file in the META-INF of
the regular old tomahawk.jar?  It certainly doesn't hurt anyone not
using facelets and it would be a major incentive to use MyFaces
components if they were able to be used with facelets out of the box.

> -- Adam

Sean

Re: MyFaces support for Facelets

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 5/10/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think we'll want to make it a separate jar and project because
> > > facelets depends on JSF 1.2 RI and the Glassfish EL jars.   And maybe
> > > JSP 2.1 as well.   Those don't need to be dependencies for standard
> > > tomahawk use.
> >
> > FYI, it doesn't depend on the JSF 1.2 RI, and it *definitely*
> > doesn't depend on JSP 2.1 (or anything in JSP, for that matter).
> > It does require a javax.el implementation;  I don't remember offhand
> > if it's hardcoded against the Glassfish implementation or if
> > that's pluggable.
>
> Adam,
>
> When I was working on custom components for the Optional Validation
> Framework, I had issues with dependencies on
> javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.Tag.   I went back and reviewed the project,
> but I couldn't duplicate the issue -- I'm probably misremembering the
> root cause and was due to JSP tags instead.
>
> However, com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentHandler references
> javax.faces.component.ActionSource2 (a dependencies on the JSF 1.2
> api).  I thought for sure that this was causing a compile-time
> dependency, but again I can't repeat the problem.

I should clarify:  there's definitely a compile-time dependency
on JSF 1.2.  But I got Jacob to make it so that it's compile-time
only, and there's no runtime dependency.

-- Adam

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas and I have talked on and off about adding facelets support
> natively to MyFaces Tomahawk.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-79
>
> Things that were holding us up in the past were no code generator.
> That's now available again, although I haven't had time to look into
> using it.
>
> Also, we're waiting for a maven-repository version of facelets to
> appear.   That should happen shortly as ADFFaces also needs it.

I'll have all next week to beat on Jacob. :)

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
I forgot one point, option (2) has one benefit over option (1): there could
be separate jar files for different facelets versions if at anytime facelets
broke compatibility.

-Andrew