Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Yuri Bochkarev <ba...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/30 18:29:51 UTC

Send large files

Hello.

Can you tell me please if Thrift is good for sending large files in
LAN? If so, can you point me to some examples?

I have a server written in Erlang and a client written in Python.
Beside of simple communication protocol which Thrift is perfectly good
for, server also needs to send large (up to several gigabytes:
50Mb..5Gb) files to the client and to get same large files back. The
process must be reliable (we must detect network failures and send
file again) and resumable (if network connection drops, it would be
nice to continue sending from the point where is was stopped, like
FTP). The latter requirement is not that important, actually.

The communication is expected to happen in LAN. Will Thrift
implementation properly handle such a large binary messages?

Thanks in advance,
Yuri

Re: Send large files

Posted by Rory McGuire <rm...@clearformat.com>.
Hessian does I believe.

http://hessian.caucho.com/

-Rory

Re: Send large files

Posted by Dmitriy Kargapolov <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 07/01/2011 05:39 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Bryan Duxbury:
>
>> It does not naturally support chunking.
> Are there any alternatives which do?  It seems that this feature is
> extremely rare among (structured) transport protocols---even many HTTP
> implementations do not support incremental processing of incoming data
> during arrival.

Adding transfer large data feature to the Thrift would kill it as a
protocol. It's a nice smart framework targeting multi-platform RPC based
by DDL and code generation. It's not a panacea for all possible
scenarios and should not be.

Re: Send large files

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@bfk.de>.
* Bryan Duxbury:

--
Florian Weimer                <fw...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

Re: Send large files

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
It does not naturally support chunking.

Re: Send large files