Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2015/01/07 00:37:55 UTC

Commons Dev List Activity Levels

Hi,

With the recent announcement about commits to commons being opened up, I
joined the dev@commons.apache.org list to follow the activity, for my own
curiosity, and to seek out opportunities for participation and mutual
interests. However, I've been a bit overwhelmed by the activity on the
list, from concurrent votes for releases on sub-projects, to automated
notifications from Wiki and GitHub pull requests, to ongoing discussions
about switching to git, plus a myriad of other threads.

So, I was wondering a few things:

1) Is this considered normal activity for this list?
2) How do people deal with this level of activity? Does anybody have any
suggestions to a newcomer / lurker?
3) Is there any interest in removing some of the automated notifications
(or moving them to a notifications list)? If so, which types are ideal
candidates?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: Commons Dev List Activity Levels

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
You can set up your email client to filter out messages you are not
interested in.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 07/01/2015 00:37, Christopher a écrit :

> 2) How do people deal with this level of activity? Does anybody have any
> suggestions to a newcomer / lurker?

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for joining the party. A few years ago I wrote a filter
generator for Thunderbird [1], but this will not help if you use Gmail.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://people.apache.org/~ebourg/mozfilter.html

Re: Commons Dev List Activity Levels

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/6/15 4:37 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the recent announcement about commits to commons being opened up, I
> joined the dev@commons.apache.org list to follow the activity, for my own
> curiosity, and to seek out opportunities for participation and mutual
> interests. However, I've been a bit overwhelmed by the activity on the
> list, from concurrent votes for releases on sub-projects, to automated
> notifications from Wiki and GitHub pull requests, to ongoing discussions
> about switching to git, plus a myriad of other threads.
>
> So, I was wondering a few things:
>
> 1) Is this considered normal activity for this list?

Yes, it is about average for recent times.  It used to be quite a
bit heavier.  See [1].
> 2) How do people deal with this level of activity? Does anybody have any
> suggestions to a newcomer / lurker?

We are pretty good about prefixing the posts about components with
the component names in the subject header.  You can use filters to
select posts for the components you are interested in if you like.
Some people do that.
> 3) Is there any interest in removing some of the automated notifications
> (or moving them to a notifications list)? If so, which types are ideal
> candidates?

We have discussed this in the past and always decided to keep things
on the dev list.  People can always filter / move using rules if
they like.  It takes a little getting used to, but the "busy list
pattern" [2] is actually a good one for communities like ours.

Phil

[1] http://markmail.org/list/org.apache.commons.dev/
[2]
http://grep.codeconsult.ch/2011/12/06/stefanos-mazzocchis-busy-list-pattern/