Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Arun Katkere <ka...@praja.com> on 2000/08/10 21:20:20 UTC

Any progress on 3.2 new beta/RC/final?

Are we there yet?

A week since promised release candidate (see attached email). A month since
the last of what was initially planned to be a weekly beta. Two months since
originally scheduled date.

I know it is a OpenSource project and everyone is spending their own
valuable free time on this and we should be grateful for whatever is thrown
at us, but I would feel a little better if I saw any hint in the dev mailing
list discussions that we were on the release phase. All discussion seems to
have moved on to 3.3 and 4.0 and next servlet/JSP spec when what is
admittedly a close to release product is left in limbo. May be for us
developers the knowledge that 3.2 beta2 is stable enough is good enough, but
unfortunately some managers and IT folks pay more attention than they should
to the term "release".

I apologize for sounding so frustrated, but it is difficult to see such
great code short-changed by a process that doesn't evoke users' trust.

-arun

Re: Any progress on 3.2 new beta/RC/final?

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Arun Katkere wrote:

> Are we there yet?
>
> A week since promised release candidate (see attached email). A month since
> the last of what was initially planned to be a weekly beta. Two months since
> originally scheduled date.
><SNIP>
> have moved on to 3.3 and 4.0 and next servlet/JSP spec when what is
> admittedly a close to release product is left in limbo. May be for us
> developers the knowledge that 3.2 beta2 is stable enough is good enough, but
> unfortunately some managers and IT folks pay more attention than they should
> to the term "release".
>
> -arun

hey...the longer it takes the happier i am. it means i can test it out
with a wide variety of weird combinations to see if it holds up.
deadlines suck in general...and stability testing takes time. :)
besides..there are a few patches which need to go into 3.2 before final...
-Ys-
yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com