Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jo...@desjardins.com on 2006/04/17 17:09:20 UTC

Directory listing... what happened ?

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 5.10.
I installed Tomcat 5.5.16.

My webserver was going fine until I rebooted my computer.
Now when I go to http://localhost/ I get a directory listing of "Index of/"
with those 2 entries:

[DIR]       Parent Directory  15-Apr-2006 15:22       -
[DIR]       apache2-default/  15-Apr-2006 15:22       -

instead of my webpage that I previously had. If I click on apache2-default/
directory this page appears:

                  ---------------------------------------
   If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web
 server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to
                   this directory and replace this page.

             Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

     This page is here because the site administrator has changed the
configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for
  maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation,
 which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has
     nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve
                           configuration issues.
                  ---------------------------------------

What's wrong with my server ?

All I remember changing is
-the owner of the /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/root/ from "root" to myself so
I could edit the files.
-I renamed the file web.xml to web_bak.xml just to see if it was really
needed in the /webapps/root/WEB-INF/ (but I put it back the way is was).

Thank you.

Re: Directory listing... what happened ?

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
who listens to port 80? Apache? if so, consult your apache docs.

if Tomcat listens to port 80, then the webapps/ROOT/ is your root
application "/"

Filip