Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Elliott <el...@mail.cibertribe.pt> on 2001/10/11 20:26:11 UTC

[Off-Topic]: A little Windows Help Please

I admit I'm not a regular user of Windows software much less an expert.  So
I am asking those of you who are on this list if you wouldn't mind giving me
a couple of hands.

env: Windows 2000Pro

I have modified my CLASSPATH user variable to point to the correct location
for CATALINA_HOME/lib.  There I had put a JAR of DbConnectionBroker.  Upon
trying to compile a servlet in my webapps directory I was kindly told that
the package could not be found?   After putting the same jar in the
jdk1.3.1\jre\lib\ext directory it is now *found*.

Am I just totally missing how to set CLASSPATHs in Windows?  This works just
fine in all kinds of flavors of *nix.

Another question if you have the patience.  Is there a way to resize (horz.)
the miniscule Command Prompt window?  Alternatively, is there a way to
change the prompt of the Command Prompt to not include the path info at each
prompt?  All my attempts to resize horz. despite having a cursor which
indicates possibilities are futile.  I realize now why a 3rd party IDE is
necessary; to get a bigger window.....;)

Thanks for the help....

Steven

//*
Steven Elliott      <HoT@vtvLearning.com
Head of Technology
VTV Learning Corporation
         Los Angeles  -  Boston  -  Lisbon
        (http://www.vtvLearning.com/)

RE: [Off-Topic]: A little Windows Help Please

Posted by George McKInney <ge...@tantalus.com>.

A couple of things.
First, if the .jar is necessary for runtime, it should be in
webapps/<yourapp>/WEB-INF/lib

For compiling, (and I wouldn't compile from within my TOMCAT installation),
just make sure the .jar is in the path defined by the -classpath argument to
javac.

I consider using CLASSPATH to be fraught with danger - define the path you
need at the time you issue the command, whether it be javac, java, etc.

Second, CATALINA has an extensive of classloaders, described in "Class
Loader HOW-TO" in the 4.0 docs part of the TOMCAT site. Take a look at  that
to decide where to put your .jar files.

> Another question if you have the patience.  Is there a way to
> resize (horz.)
> the miniscule Command Prompt window?  Alternatively, is there a way to
> change the prompt of the Command Prompt to not include the
> path info at each
> prompt?  All my attempts to resize horz. despite having a cursor which
> indicates possibilities are futile.  I realize now why a 3rd
> party IDE is
> necessary; to get a bigger window.....;)

If you're talking about Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt, right
click on the window's title bar and select properties. There are places to
set both window and buffer sizes.
> Thanks for the help....
>
> Steven
>
> //*
> Steven Elliott      <HoT@vtvLearning.com
> Head of Technology
> VTV Learning Corporation
>          Los Angeles  -  Boston  -  Lisbon
>         (http://www.vtvLearning.com/)

George McKinney, Developer
Tantalus Communications Inc.
500-1122 Mainland Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6B 5L1
george@tantalus.com

Direct  604.726.6753
Main    604.609.0700
Fax     604.609.0705

"The Oracle Experts"
www.tantalus.com

RE: [Off-Topic]: A little Windows Help Please

Posted by Wei Xiao <wx...@rens.com>.
Answer is right after each questions, good luck!

I admit I'm not a regular user of Windows software much less an expert.  So
I am asking those of you who are on this list if you wouldn't mind giving me
a couple of hands.

env: Windows 2000Pro

I have modified my CLASSPATH user variable to point to the correct location
for CATALINA_HOME/lib.  There I had put a JAR of DbConnectionBroker.  Upon
trying to compile a servlet in my webapps directory I was kindly told that
the package could not be found?   After putting the same jar in the
jdk1.3.1\jre\lib\ext directory it is now *found*.

Am I just totally missing how to set CLASSPATHs in Windows?  This works just
fine in all kinds of flavors of *nix.

***** At Command Prompt type 'set CLASSPATH' and see what you got.
***** If it is not right, go to control panel -> System -> Advanced ->
Environment Variables

***** Right click Command Prompt icon on desktop or menu item on start menu,
***** go to font tab and then size

***** go to Shortcut tab and change Start in to whatever you want

All my attempts to resize horz. despite having a cursor which
indicates possibilities are futile.  I realize now why a 3rd party IDE is
necessary; to get a bigger window.....;)

Thanks for the help....

Steven

//*
Steven Elliott      <HoT@vtvLearning.com