Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com> on 2003/03/01 05:06:06 UTC

[NET] Re: dependency dilemma

Steve,

I'm replying on the commons-dev list...

"Steve Cohen" <SC...@sportvision.com> writes:

> I began working on incorporating my changes to commons-net and came
> fairly quickly to the first hurdle:
>
> Many of my changes depend on jakarta-oro which is not now included
> in the build process of the project.  In fact, I saw in one of the
> docs, http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/dependencies.html, that
> commons-net depends on no other projects.  I don't know if this is
> an immutable law, and I certainly don't want to introduce circular
> dependencies, so I'm kind of stymied here.
>
> I suppose the build script must have been different before the
> current setup was introduced, or I/we were somehow jamming
> jakarta-oro onto the classpath.  Is it okay to introduce such a
> dependency now, and if so, what is the right way to do it?  If not,
> how else can we build regular expression parsing into the library?
> I'm sure going to jdk 1.4 is not an option.

We had the dependency in there for quite some time before we moved the
code into proposal.  You could look in cvsweb at older versions of
project.xml to add the dependency.  Basically its:

<dependencies>
  <dependency>
    <id>oro</id>
    <version>2.0.7</version>
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

Moving the tests into src/test, maven will pull in the junit
dependency for us so we don't need to explictly list it.