Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Peter Marshall <pe...@caris.com> on 2005/01/25 01:32:37 UTC

how are most people storing spamassassin / bayes prefs / data

I have been doing a bit of reading, and I am a bit confused.  Is there any
advantage to having your postfix user info, and spamassassin inform stored
in a mysql database as opposed to just using the /etc/passwd file for users,
and whatever comes with spamassassin to store its data ?  It just seems like
a lot of extra bother to set up the mysql stuff ... and I don't see a great
advantage.

My system will have postfix and spamassassin on the same box (and possibly
mysql).  I will be running a popper as well .. no IMAP).

This will be both the MTA and MDA ... there are no mailservers below it.

Thanks for the info.

Peter

Re: how are most people storing spamassassin / bayes prefs / data

Posted by Morris Jones <mo...@whiteoaks.com>.
Peter Marshall wrote:
> I have been doing a bit of reading, and I am a bit confused.  Is there any
> advantage to having your postfix user info, and spamassassin inform stored
> in a mysql database as opposed to just using the /etc/passwd file for users,

If all your users can log in to a shell prompt and manipulate their
preferences and bayes, then there's no advantage.  Otherwise it makes it
easier to serve up a web interface and let people manage their preferences.

I don't know about the performance.  So far I haven't been able to get
spamd to be able to find the SQL storage module.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones
Monrovia, CA