Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Brian Bowman <Br...@sas.com> on 2019/07/15 15:54:11 UTC

Workaround for Thrift download ERRORs

Is there a workaround for the following error?

requests.exceptions.SSLError: hostname 'www.apache.org' doesn't match either of '*.openoffice.org', 'openoffice.org'/thrift/0.12.0/thrift-0.12.0.tar.gz

I’ve inflated apache-arrow-0.14.0.tar and the thrift-0.12.0.tar.gz is not being found curing cmake.  This results in downstream compile errors during make.

Here’s the log info from cmake:

-- Checking for module 'thrift'
--   No package 'thrift' found
-- Could NOT find Thrift (missing: THRIFT_STATIC_LIB THRIFT_INCLUDE_DIR THRIFT_COMPILER)
Building Apache Thrift from source
Downloading Apache Thrift from Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "…/apache-arrow-0.14.0/cpp/build-support/get_apache_mirror.py", line 38, in <module>
    suggested_mirror = get_url('https://www.apache.org/dyn/'
  File "…/apache-arrow-0.14.0/cpp/build-support/get_apache_mirror.py", line 27, in get_url
    return requests.get(url).content
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 68, in get
    return request('get', url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 50, in request
    response = session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 464, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 576, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 431, in send
    raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: hostname 'www.apache.org' doesn't match either of '*.openoffice.org', 'openoffice.org'/thrift/0.12.0/thrift-0.12.0.tar.gz

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Workaround for Thrift download ERRORs

Posted by Brian Bowman <Br...@sas.com>.
This turns out to be a problem with cert validation when cmake sets up to download thrift, due to back-level RHEL 6 and Python 2.6.6 on the internal SAS build node where this fails.
We need to update to a newer supported version of Python on these machines.

 https://issues.apache.org/jira/ seems to be down right now.  I'll add a comment about this when it comes back.

-Brian

On 7/15/19, 3:45 PM, "Brian Bowman" <Br...@sas.com> wrote:

    EXTERNAL

    Wes,

    I can reproduce this issue with a post-0.14.0 git-cloned repos on the same linux system where I see with the 0.14.0 release download.  The successful cmake/make occurs on a Liunx VM where I personally staged all of the built tools, built gcc, cmake 3.2+ etc.  This looks like a problem with my build environments here at SAS and NOT with the apache arrow/parquet code base.

    Just updated https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-5953 with this info.   I'll keep this JIRA open for now in case there is something new to report that can help others novice (like me) in building arrow/parquet.

    Forgive the noise.

    -Brian

    On 7/15/19, 2:54 PM, "Wes McKinney" <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

        EXTERNAL

        Sorry, that's not right. That commit was included in 0.14.0. So I'm
        not sure what code change could cause what you're seeing

Posted by Brian Bowman <Br...@sas.com>.
Wes,

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.