Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/08 16:25:10 UTC

Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Hi All,

I have an application which uses Axis2 1.4.1. When we have Axis2 configured
(servlet mappings) in web.xml we get following error in Tomcat 6.0.24.

"*A web application appears to have started a thread named [Timer-0] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak*".

According to tomcat developers this happens when an app starts a thread but
never stops it. Tomcat tries to stop the thread (6.0.22 onwards) if tomcat
fails to stop the thread, it gives above message.

If we comment out Axis2 servlet mappings in web.xml we do not get the error.

Any comments?

Chinmoy

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

In order to figure out where this comes from, can you execute the
following steps?

1. Deploy the arit tool from [1] into the Tomcat instance where Axis2
is deployed.
2. Make sure that both Axis2 and arit are started.
3. Get the report from arit by accessing the context root of the
application (http://localhost:8080/arit-war-1.0).
4. Stop the Axis2 application.
5. Get the report from arit again.

By comparing the reports from 3 and 5, we should be able to get more
information about the leaking timer.

Andreas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/arit/downloads/list

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Please ignore my previous mail...the error occurs with jdk 1.5 also....I
guess it's Axis2 issue...

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
The issue is still open and I can see the same leak with a snapshot
build. The scripting module allows you to deploy Web services
implemented using Javascript and other scripting languages. This
should actually be implemented as a custom deployer, but (for
presumably historical reasons) it was designed as a module.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Chinmoy Chakraborty <cc...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Possible memory leak in Axis2 1.4.1?

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Chinmoy,