Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> on 2017/08/11 17:16:03 UTC

Making a new development environment from scratch

bin/bootstrap_development.sh now no longer references the chef repo <
https://github.com/awleblang/impala-setup>. My hope is that this makes it
easier to maintain and extend to new Linux distributions.

It now also supports Ubuntu 16.04 and 14.04. I have tested it in EC2,
Google Compute Engine, and Docker.

It currently uses OpenJDK -- version 7 on 14.04 and version 8 on 16.04. It
could be changed to Oracle JDK on 16.04:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-5793

The pre-merge job has been switched away from using <
https://jenkins.impala.io/view/Utility/job/ubuntu-14.04-from-scratch/> to
using <https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/>. You will
need to rebase before starting the pre-merge job.

Re: Making a new development environment from scratch

Posted by Zachary Amsden <za...@cloudera.com>.
Nice!  I had to hack around this as well to get a different Java version
set up.  It may be worth making the Java version a configurable parameter.

 - Zach