Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Da...@equifax.com on 2003/03/26 20:55:21 UTC

Implicit locking with greater control

Would there be any interest in having implicit locking set at the
class-level, rather than the entire system?  What about the ability to
overide any previous setting at the time of the lock?  If I were to write
such a patch, would it be accepted into the mainline?

David

This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be
confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please
refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail
postmaster@equifax.com.

Re: Implicit locking with greater control

Posted by Phil Warrick <ph...@mcgill.ca>.
Hi all,

I agree that more control is needed on this ODMG setting.

I have another perspective on this.  I need to have implicit locking off
during read transactions otherwise there is unwanted materialization of
proxies.  I turn implicit locking on for write transactions, however.
This requires control of the setting at the level of
org.apache.ojb.odmg.TransactionImpl (or its subclass
J2EETransactionImpl) rather than the global setting for correct
multi-threaded behaviour.  So I'm between the extremes of the status quo
and your proposal, although perhaps there is a way to achieve both goals?

I have implemented what I have described and was intending to submit it
when fully tested.  But I'll wait to see where this thead leads...

Phil