Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2008/04/17 17:12:26 UTC

[s2] Test build of 2.1.1 available

The test build of Struts 2.1.1 is available.

No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of
Struts 2.1.1 has been made, and at this time it is simply a "test
build".  We welcome any comments you may have, and will take all
feedback into account if a quality vote is called for this build.

Release notes:
* http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/version-notes-211.html

Maven 2 staging repository:
* http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.1.1/m2-staging-repository/

We appreciate the time and effort everyone has put toward contributing
code and documentation, posting to the mailing lists, and logging
issues.

Don

Re: [s2] Test build of 2.1.1 available (test result)

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
I spent several hours migrating applications to Struts2.1.1 today. I've
applied a significant overhaul to the migration guide [1].

Summary of results:
core: no new issues encountered after following the migration guide
tiles 2 plugin: no new issues encountered after following migration guide
sitemesh plugin: no new issues encountered, no migration required
jasperreports plugin: no new issues encountered, no migration required
dojo plugin: no new issues encountered after following the migration
guide (only a cursory look. *see notes below)

Third-party plugins:
json plugin: no new issues encountered, no migration required
guice plugin: no new issues encountered, no migration required

Other:
codebehind: in use, no new issues to report (but not migrated from any
2.0.x apps)
rest: in use, no new issues to report

*Dojo plugin:
I only had used a small test application for this consisting of
autocompleter, datetimepicker, divs and binds.  I can confirm what has
already been reported by others: there is an issue regarding execution
of inline javascript in ajax results that may affect some users
migrating from 2.0.x to 2.1.x: Inline scripts are NOT executed unless
separateScripts="true" and executeScripts="true". I believe, but could
not confirm, that these attributes were independent in Struts2.0.x  I
have updated the migration guide accordingly.

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/S2WIKI/Troubleshooting+guide+migrating+from+Struts+2.0.x+to+2.1.x

Re: Convention Plugin Status

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
It was a port of SmartURLs and I didn't get everything totally cleaned
up before getting so busy I could barely check my email ;). I'll remove
them.

-bp

Posted by James Holmes <ja...@jamesholmes.com>.
+1

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I have been playing with the plugin since yesterday, and everything
that is documented here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/convention-plugin.html

seems to be working fine. Is there anything you are aware of that
would prevent us from moving it out of the sandbox?

musachy

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
Done

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Brian Pontarelli wrote:
> Bob Tiernay wrote:
>> Anyone know what the status of the Convention plugin is? Is there
>> anyways we can get it out of the sandbox and into a formal release?
>> I'm willing to help out :)
> The plugin is stable and running in production. It can probably be
> moved out of the sandbox whenever we want. At this point, I'm
> completely fine with pulling it out of the sandbox. I've been using it
> for a number of months and it is fine.
>
> Anyone else adverse to moving it out?

Hi Brian, are we going to replace CodeBehind or provide Convention as an
alternative?  I prefer the latter, at least for a transitional period,
as the the REST plugin still extends CodeBehind.  For the transitional
period we could recommend use of the Convention plugin and plan a
deprecation of CodeBehind.  I don't think it's good to offer both
indefinitely.

cheers,
 Jeromy

Re: Convention Plugin Status

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Convention Plugin Status

Posted by Bob Tiernay <bt...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Disregard that post.
Sorry.

Matt

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Dave,

The problem is that the S1 plugin does work with older versions of S1, just
not the most recent one, so it's more like if you have a video playing iPod,
and it's not the most recent one, then you're OK.

My problem is really that the whole point of the S1 plugin is to allow S1
code to work with S2, yet it won't work with the most recent version of S1
thats been released even the 1.3.8 has been out for over 6 months and we've
been trying to get everyone to use.

Al.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Giovanni,

Like you I am a pure 2.x developer these days, and I would have absolutely
no problem with the S1 plugin being spun off into a separate project, but as
things are I couldn't vote for it being anything more than a test build
because we are shipping something we know doesn't work with the latest
version of one of our own products.

As I see it this would be like Apple making and releasing a new Speaker
System today that wouldn't work with the iPod touch, or Microsoft releasing
a new version of Office which isn't compatible with Vista, whilst it's true
that a majority of people may not care, we know there will be those who do,
and therefore we are knowingly releasing a product which won't work when
people follow our own advise on setting up S1 projects.

If this were any other problem then it wouldn't be such a big problem for me
(e.g. I would still like the dojo plugin to be up to dojo 1.0 or spun off
before a GA release, but we don't tell people to use the latest version of
Dojo), but as the problems are purely of our own making then I believe we
have an obligation to sort them out before saying this is anything more than
a test release.

Al.

Posted by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl>.
Hi Al,

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Don,

I just tried the all.zip bundle and I see that some of the new plugins
are missing:
struts2-dojo-plugin-2.1.1.jar
struts2-dwr-plugin-2.1.1.jar
struts2-junit-plugin-2.1.1.jar
struts2-spring-plugin-2.1.1.jar
struts2-testng-plugin-2.1.1.jar

I added the missing jars to the assembly config and tested locally
against 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT.
So I need to revoke my suggestion to publish 2.1.1 as a beta build.

May be we could get out 2.1.2 before JavaOne instead?

cheers,
Rainer

Posted by Pedro Herrera <pe...@hotmail.com>.
I´m testing this version (build) in a project and I find no problems. It´s
all working fine !!!

Herrera

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Whoops, that should be:

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Posted by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl>.
Hi Don,

I am also testing the 2.1.1 here ... many thanks for pushing the build.

I could not find the dojo plugin in:
http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.1.1/struts-2.1.1-lib.zip

Then I took it from:
http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.1.1/m2-staging-repository/org/apache/struts/struts2-dojo-plugin/2.1.1/struts2-dojo-plugin-2.1.1.jar

I assume it is in sync with the zip distribution, is that correct?

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Giovanni

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@apache.org>.
Don,

I tested the current build successfully on my current applications.
I'd suggest to call a vote for a beta release.

With a broader audience we could quickly clean up existing and coming
issues and target a GA release within the next weeks.
Before a GA release some issues in XWork need to be resolved, but these
are already scheduled for the time after JavaOne.

cheers,
Rainer

> The test build of Struts 2.1.1 is available.
>
> No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of
> Struts 2.1.1 has been made, and at this time it is simply a "test
> build".  We welcome any comments you may have, and will take all
> feedback into account if a quality vote is called for this build.
>
> Release notes:
> * http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/version-notes-211.html

> Maven 2 staging repository:
> * http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.1.1/m2-staging-repository/
>
> We appreciate the time and effort everyone has put toward contributing
> code and documentation, posting to the mailing lists, and logging
> issues.
>
> Don

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Mariahilfstrasse 9
52062 Aachen - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49-241-4012247
m: +49-170-3432912

RE: [s2] Test build of 2.1.1 available

Posted by "Fernandes, Filipe" <Fe...@mtsallstream.com>.
From: Dave Newton
> Please post this to the struts-user list.
>
> Dave

I should have been more clear... I'm not looking for support, just
reporting a problem with the 2.1.1 build.  The error I'm seeing is a
result of using the 2.1.1 build using websphere while noting that I
haven't had issues using 2.0.11.1 on the same platform...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Fernandes, Filipe" <Fe...@mtsallstream.com>.
From: Don Brown [mailto:mrdon@twdata.org]