Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Alberto G." <g_...@hotmail.com> on 2001/10/10 14:18:27 UTC

x:forge remarks

I read in the cocoon mailing list about x:forge valutation and project.

It's a surprise for me read that there is a project to rewrite, totally or
partially, x:forge by Ricardo Rocha.

My position and attention about x:forge is always very strong, indipendently
from the status of Bibop R&D or others enterprise reality. I can assure that
my entusiasm for the project is the same that 6 month ago when i started
writing it, and I would like to partecipate in its evolution and future
projects.

For this reason I ask you to consider my position, opinion and disponibility
for every x:forge project, this for the time, the attention,  the projectual
effource i have dedicated to x:forge in its total implementation.

Alberto Garoffolo

Re: x:forge remarks

Posted by "Alberto G." <g_...@hotmail.com>.
Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.

[...]

Re: x:forge remarks

Posted by "Alberto G." <g_...@hotmail.com>.
> [...]
> the author and, for what I can tell, a very good programmer and knower
> of the internals of both Cocoon1, Cocoon2 and Avalon.
>
> Ricardo independently thought about something along the lines of X:Forge
> a long time ago (you knew that) and he is simply moving forward some of
> those ideas in a closed way (something I admittedly don't like, but
> that's the way he works and even if I tried, I can't change his mind on
> this).
>
> As far as post-XSP dynamic XML generation goes, the community will
> decide what to use and will depend on the code, the documentation
> available, the examples to show its power, the vocality of the author on
> the list, his/her ability to reply to user's email and such.
>
> It takes much more than code to build a community.
>
> I'm stating the obvious, I know, but this is to tell you that you should
> not think that we are throwing away x:forge and start again just because
> there are some negative feelings between people on this list about what
> happened in Bibop.
>
> No, I won't let personal interests blind us in technical questions. I
> hope you trust me on this as much as you trusted me on other questions.
>
> To be honest, I thought about moving x:forge over into the Cocoon HEAD
> CVS branch both to move forward and to push Ricardo, but I was afraid of
> the "black box" effect where unmaintained code goes into the
> distribution and nobody really knows what's going on.
>
> Your active presence on this list will automatically remove my concerns.
>
> Please understand this is a general thing and it's not related by you
> nor x:forge: I'm more concerned about community that code because a good
> community creates good code, but good code doesn't automatically create
> good communities.
>
> In fact, the XSP engine and Ricardo's spotty presence happen to have the
> same situation.
>
> As well as current discussions about the SQL part with Donald away for
> some time.
>
> The community will vote whether to accept x:forge or Ricardo's DXML in
> the distribution, but more than accepting blackbox contributions, I'd
> love to see development taking place internally.
>
> And this is a warning to Ricardo as well.
>
> I will personally reject code donations unless backed up with
> documentation, samples, and, more important, a more or less guaranteed
> presence on the mail lists of the original author and maintainer.
>
> I hope this clarifies the issues on this and shows you the transparency
> you were expecting on the cocoon-dev mail list.

As i said before, i'd like to mantain and improve x:forge and, if the
community consider
it a possible alternative to XSP, to offer you a full support to understand
and modify it.

I'll be very happy if the community will help me to improve the code :-)

For all of them that hasn't seen it and are interested take a look at

Ciao,

Alberto Garoffolo.

Re: x:forge remarks

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Alberto G." wrote:

> [...]

community creates good code, but good code doesn't automatically create
good communities.

In fact, the XSP engine and Ricardo's spotty presence happen to have the
same situation.

As well as current discussions about the SQL part with Donald away for
some time.

The community will vote whether to accept x:forge or Ricardo's DXML in
the distribution, but more than accepting blackbox contributions, I'd
love to see development taking place internally.

And this is a warning to Ricardo as well.

I will personally reject code donations unless backed up with
documentation, samples, and, more important, a more or less guaranteed
presence on the mail lists of the original author and maintainer.

I hope this clarifies the issues on this and shows you the transparency
you were expecting on the cocoon-dev mail list.

Ciao.

Stefano.