Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/03/31 08:10:17 UTC

Towards a stable 1.3 release

Ok, as I understand the current system, we'd need a GA release of all
the subprojects, including Action 1, in order to declare a GA 1.3 release.

How much work does those involved think this will be?  If a bit, I'm
thinking it might be easier in the long run to go ahead, consolidate the
subprojects, and even merge a few like taglibs and EL.  Then, we can
push for a single release instead of having to roll and evaluate the 6
subprojects, each might take a few releases to get GA.

I'm willing to defer to those who have been doing all the hard work to
get this far, and I'd like to help do whatever it takes to get a stable
release out there.  I'm just wondering if one larger release will be
quicker and easier than 6 releases.  In fact, here is an idea at how to
getting a release out ASAP and make Action easier to manage:
 - Put all subprojects under Action 1
 - Merge Faces into Extras
 - Merge EL into taglibs
 - Get strict with tickets - only let bugs hold us up, and then, only
ones we agree should hold us back.  Most projects ship with bugs, just
we'd make sure to document them.

Bottom line, the fewer subprojects and even "modules", the quicker a GA
release will happen and the easier the project will be to manage.  We
are _way_ overdue on this release and I'm now hearing some literally
don't think it will _ever_ be finished, and worse, that we don't care.

Don

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/31/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is another related product, StrutsLive! .
>
> Do you mean this StrutsLive!, Michael?
>
> * https://strutslive.dev.java.net/

Yes. I played with it, seems quite comprehensive. For an add-on it
might be a bit intrusive since it requires changes to request
processor, but otherwise a nice library.

Michael.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is another related product, StrutsLive! .

Do you mean this StrutsLive!, Michael?

* https://strutslive.dev.java.net/

-T.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Hubert did have time to drop the plug-in now, that would be a
> reasonable first step. Then, we can integrate into a 1.4 DTD, if
> that's what we want to do. We did the same sort of thing with opt-in
> Cancel Handling. We "patched" 1.2 and then made the DTD change in 1.3.

This is also what I had in mind.  Integrating FormDef features into
Struts would take more work and much more time.  IMO, that change
would be enough for a change in version number.  While I've thought
about what an integrated FormDef would look like, I still don't have
the full concept figured out.

> A big reason that we average 24 months between releases is because
> people tend to say, "Let's add this one more thing. It won't take
> long."  And, then it always does take much longer that we imagine.

And this is what I'd like to avoid.

Hubert

(It's a very busy Friday for me at work so I'm not able to chime in as
much as I would like.)

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Hubert did have time to drop the plug-in now, that would be a
> reasonable first step. Then, we can integrate into a 1.4 DTD, if
> that's what we want to do. We did the same sort of thing with opt-in
> Cancel Handling. We "patched" 1.2 and then made the DTD change in 1.3.

I just thought that having one change in DTD is better than having two
consecutive changes. It was pointed out in another thread that
stability (both code and API) is Struts' key to success. If a change
requires DTD to be updated, I'd rather have it combined with other DTD
updates in one bigger chunk. But this is just me.

I don't want to rush Hubert ;)

Michael.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think integrating FormDef into struts-config is a good thing, and
> this can be legitimately done right now, when version changes from 1.2
> to 1.3. It will not be possible later unless 1.4 will be released. But
> if Hubert prefers having FormDef as a plugin, well, it is his choice.

Procedurally, there's no difference to us between, say, a 1.3.3 and a
1.4.0. We're going to do exactly the same things either way. It's
mainly a about versioning the DTD. So far, we've only had "minor" DTD
releases ratrher than major one.

If Hubert did have time to drop the plug-in now, that would be a
reasonable first step. Then, we can integrate into a 1.4 DTD, if
that's what we want to do. We did the same sort of thing with opt-in
Cancel Handling. We "patched" 1.2 and then made the DTD change in 1.3.

A big reason that we average 24 months between releases is because
people tend to say, "Let's add this one more thing. It won't take
long."  And, then it always does take much longer that we imagine.

We can keep rolling 1.x releases for as long as there are people
interested in rolling them. It's not like it affects the payroll or
anything :)

-Ted.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Look at it this way - all this work has to be done whether we release a stable 1.3 now or after formdef.  We might as
well get it done now, then we always could release again right afterwards.  If this Maven build is as magical as Wendy
and James say it is ;), we shouldn't have a problem.

Don

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> I guess what I'm saying is I'm willing to be the release manager for
> 1.3.1, but I'm looking to do as little work as possible :)

I'm just saying the infrastructure we have now for Action 1.3 doesn't
prevent anyone from doing a single plan that covers all the "Action 1"
JARs, as we did with 1.3.0. There is one 1.3.0 plan, and we could also
call for one quality vote on the 1.3.0 build, without doing *any*
additional work.

I don't even know that we need a 1.3.1 build yet. I haven't called for
a vote on the 1.3.0 build myself since my work schedule won't permit
me to provide the level of support a GA release deserves. The best I
could do myself is vote +0 on the 1.3.0 release.

-Ted.

Re: Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> Is it going to be struts-core.jar, then?  It seems confusing to have a
> directory called 'core' build an artifact called 'struts-action'.

{sees Don svn mv core/* ../ in r151397}

No, that's not what I meant.  I was only commenting on the name of the
directory, not its location.

It's fine to have (showing trunk, which isn't there now,)

   action1/trunk/action
   action1/trunk/taglib
   etc...

HTH,
--
Wendy

Re: Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I'm using a stock download of 2.0.3.

Oh how I dream of finding the missing manual for Maven 2 command line
options :(

--
James Mitchell

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
That is probably what we would have done if we hadn't had to deal
with the {subproject}/build having to be svn:externals-ized into each
one.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Why 2.0.4?  Building from source?!? Jeez!  At least I'm not _that_
> bad ;)

Because 2.0.3 had some serious regressions, and it was just as easy to
grab the 2.0.4 release candidate as to go back to 2.0.2.  It's the
plugins I'm building from source, though, to get some new features
that I wanted.

> I'm more inclined to work on a Maven 2 build and just remove whatever
> is in our way (e.g. failing tests, bad reports due to incomplete
> plugins, etc) to get to a distributable release.
>
> What do you think?

If this involves adopting most of Maven 2's conventions, and
restructuring where necessary, then _absolutely_.  I think m2 can
handle the Struts build now, (with the possible exception of the
Cactus tests,) it's just not something I was ready to take on alone.

Just wait until you see 'mvn integration-test' work. :)

--
Wendy

Re: Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Before my changes, they fail for me on maven 1, when instrumented for
jcoverage (which is the case for the 'dist' target) and maven 2 when
run normally (mvn install).

Maven 1
-------

     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionRedirect
     [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed:
0.033 sec
     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionMessage
     [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed:
0.004 sec
     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet
Missing type value for noTypeForm form bean
Missing type value for name form property
Unable to create an instance of
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException:
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:163)
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:138)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processFormBeanConfigClass
(ActionServlet.java:1021)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet.testProcessFormBeanConfigClas
sError(TestActionServlet.java:443)
(noise)
[junit] Tests run: 34, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.308 sec

Passes ok, however it fails when running the tests for the jcoverage
reports.

Maven 2
-------

[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionMessages
[surefire] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.012 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionRedirect
[surefire] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.022 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleValueRequiredException
SEVERE: Missing type value for noTypeForm form bean
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleValueRequiredException
SEVERE: Missing type value for name form property
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleCreationException
SEVERE: Unable to create an instance of
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException:
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:163)
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:138)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processFormBeanConfigClass
(ActionServlet.java:1022)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet.testProcessFormBeanConfigClas
sError(TestActionServlet.java:443)
(more noise)
         at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode
(Launcher.java:430)
[surefire] Tests run: 34, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.224
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestDynaActionForm
[surefire] Tests run: 46, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.08 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestDynaActionFormClass
[surefire] Tests run: 7, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.009 sec

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:
> Funny you should mention this now.  About 10 minutes ago I (locally)
> commented the failing tests out (actually, I put 'no' in front of the
> failing testFoo methods, so it looks like 'notestFoo') so I could 'mvn
> eclipse:eclipse' core, taglib, and extras.
>
> I'm not sure why the output of the tests make Maven think that they
> failed, when, they actually did not and I know it's not an optimal
> solution, but I'd like to check that in so we can move on with our
> build.  We can work out the kinks later.

Weird, so your Maven thinks that the tests fail?  The tests pass for me, for the core module anyways.

> Also, I'm about to start another thread related to our build...it is
> (more or less) notes as I go through the various project.xml, pom.xml,
> etc, etc for each of the pieces of the action1 puzzle.

Ok, I'll hurry and move scripting into action then.  That should be the last action 1-related move.

Don

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

+----------------------------------------

[...]

java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomExceptionConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomExceptionConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomForwardConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomForwardConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomActionConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomActionConfigArg

+----------------------------------------

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
.current is now .gone and so now I just need to fix the good one to
actually work correctly and we'll have our nightlies back.

--
James Mitchell

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:
> Once we iron out action1 directories, I'll get that back online, but I'd
> like to wait till the dust settles before I pick up incubator/action2
> nightly builds.

If you are referring to the webwork2 incubated code, the only question mark in my mind relating to the build is
Patrick's Maven 2 stuff.  The ant build works great and is very stable, however, I know Patrick is polishing up the
Maven 2 build and might want to do some splitting down the road to support multiple artifacts.

Don

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
The 'actual' shell script that gets run nightly via cron is not under
svn.  Since we run nightlies on our zone, it is merely a copy of the
one under svn and as changes come in, I review and then update my
copy.  It's probably an unnecessary level of security, but as long as
my name and ASF Account is on the cron job, I'll be keeping it that
way ;)

I'm still reviewing all the recent activity/changes and I do intend
to help keep the build up to date and as easy for new people to get
running as it is for someone whos been following this for years.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
To add to that, I'll update the website to reflect the changes as soon
as they are all done.  The only major one pending is the scripting move,
which I want to give a day or two to get any possible feedback.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> I don't think anything.  If you are happy with it, I can make the
> changes tomorrow.

The structure in the test repo looks fine to me.

> I'd like to get a test release for Struts Action by
> Sunday, even if it isn't a voted on one.  I'm aiming for a good Struts
> Action release by the end of the week.  How does that sound?

Wonderful. :)  I'll be around, but working on other things.  I'll keep
an eye on email; please let me know if you need help with anything.

--
Wendy

Re: Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> Did you get what's in the test repo to build for you?  It ('maven
> nightly') works fine for me.

I wasn't able to get it working at work.  I'll try again tomorrow from
this computer.

>  * http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1
>
> What else needs to be done?

I don't think anything.  If you are happy with it, I can make the
changes tomorrow.  I haven't heard any complaints about moving Struts
Flow into the sandbox, so I'll probably do that too.  I have one other
proposal I'll get out there so we can be done with the
re-organizations.  I'd like to get a test release for Struts Action by

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Oh, one other thing - what about tiles?  I noticed tiles has its own build now, so can I then assume it is standalone?

The Struts Tiles build is separate.  I did that when I changed the
groupId, in anticipation of this reorg.  However, struts-tiles still
depends on struts-core, so it is not 'standalone' in that sense.

> I'd imagine a GA release of action would require a GA release of tiles.

I deployed the Struts Tiles 1.3.0 test build to the Maven snapshot
repositories, and changed the Apps and EL builds to depend on that.
We'll need to vote on Struts Tiles 1.3.0 along with Struts Action
1.3.2, one can't go GA without the other.

I also changed action back to core, and fixed the build files so it
works.  The whole thing is Struts Action, that module is the core.
Makes sense to me, anyway...

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Ok, moving to struts-action.  I tried changing paths, but the jars still aren't installing themselves, making it so only
action will build.  I'll keep trying, but I have this suspicion that you could fix this in about 5 minutes when you get
home :)

Overall, I'm happy with the way it looks and should help clean up, in my opinion, our directory structure and make it
easier to grasp for users and new developers.

Oh, one other thing - what about tiles?  I noticed tiles has its own build now, so can I then assume it is standalone?
If so, how close are they to a GA release, since I'd imagine a GA release of action would require a GA release of tiles.

Don

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> Is it going to be struts-core.jar, then?  It seems confusing to have a
> directory called 'core' build an artifact called 'struts-action'.

I suppose the directory could be called 'action', but it seems kinda silly to have 'action/trunk/action'.  'core' seems
to be what other projects like Cocoon, MyFaces, Shale, etc., are using, although in the first two cases, 'core' is top
level since they don't have the two framework split like we do.  I tried dropping the contents of core down to action/,
but then the common build files aren't right and it is more confusing.

I'm am kind of wondering if the other modules shouldn't be prefixed with 'struts-action', i.e. 'struts-action-extras'.
It seems long, but it would be more accurate.  The other option would be to dump 'struts' all together:
  - action-core.jar
  - action-extras.jar
  - action-taglibs.jar
  - action-apps.jar
  - action-faces.jar
  - action-el.jar

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Ok, you asked for it... :)  I put my first cut at https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1  I moved the subprojects under action1, action as core, and adjusted the builds so that they all shared the same version.

Oh, sure, do it now while I'm still at work and can't play. :)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> There were no objections to your proposed reorganization, so IMO the
> thing to do is try it and see what happens.  Preferably in the test
> repo. :)  We don't need history for this, so svn export/svn import
> should do it.  (https://svn.apache.org/repos/test)  If not, maybe Sean
> can help; he did the same thing for MyFaces before they switched to
> Maven 2.

Ok, you asked for it... :)  I put my first cut at https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1  I moved the subprojects
under action1, action as core, and adjusted the builds so that they all shared the same version.  I'm having trouble
getting the nightly to run, as it seems the default built isn't installing the snapshot jars correctly.  What am I
missing here?

> Minor issues:
>  * I think Struts EL and Taglib should stay in separate jars because
> you only need Struts EL in a Servlet 2.3 environment.  (Further, I
> thought there was some technical reason they could not be combined.)

Well, our sys requirement is servlet 2.3 now.  I haven't tried this yet, so there may be a technical reason it can't be
done.  Well, thinking about it, if both were part of action 1, and according to maven, each subproject can have only one
artifact, I guess we should leave them.

>  * Faces doesn't compile against the latest code.  It's complaining
> about RequestUtils.selectModule(...).  Right now, it depends on Struts
> 1.2.2.  Also, its
> Maven 1 build is not finished.  It's probably best to leave it separate for now.

No problem, I can fix this.  I've been going through the code as I might want to port something similar for Action 2.

> I can't take on the reorganization project, but I have time to help
> with the build if you need it.  I made some comments in the proposal
> thread about removing the svn:externals, etc.

Ok, I'll look that up again.  Thanks for the help,

Don

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> Bottom line, the fewer subprojects and even "modules", the quicker a GA
> release will happen and the easier the project will be to manage.

Having done the release both ways, I don't see that multiple JARs is a
problem. The work of creating a release is managing the plan, ensuring
that all the relevent issues are resolved, checking the dependencies,
and testing the code. Running the builds is mechanical and easy to
automate.

It's not uncommon for a project our size to distribute multiple JARs.
Spring is probably the best example. The question is whether the
version numbers of the JARs move together or move in synch.

For the 1.3.0 build, we kept the JARs in synch, so that we would have
a common baseline. Of course, because we had so much code to release
at once, it took just as long as all the other releases. We were ready
to go once before, back in November, but we held up all the code in
all the JARs for another four months because of one dependency used by
one new feature in the "Extras" JAR. Same old. Same old. One wrinkle,
and none of the wallpaper goes up.

I can't step up to the plate on the quality vote for the 1.3.0 builds
myself. If someone else is interested, I'd suggest calling for a vote
on 1.3.0, and we will see what happens.

Then, when someone is ready to do a 1.3.1 build, we can decide whether
to continue keeping all the "classic" JARs together, or whether we
want to start tagging the JARs separately.

-Ted.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> We  are _way_ overdue on this release and I'm now hearing some literally
> don't think it will _ever_ be finished, and worse, that we don't care.

Historically, we run 18 to 24 months between stable releases. Even the
initial release, when we had a greenfield, took 13 months. From that
perspective, 1.3 is right on time :)

May 2000 - 0.5
Jun 2001 - 1.0
Jun 2003 - 1.1
Sep 2004 - 1.2
xxx 2006 - 1.3

-Ted.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
I'm not aware of any additional work that needs to be done.

AFAIK, it's just a matter of calling for a quality vote.

In my own case, my work schedule isn't leaving me much discretionary
time, and so I must leave it to someone else to call for the quality
vote and complete the release.

If someone wants to slice and dice the subprojects a different way,
that's fine with me. (+0) But I don't see why that would make anything
go faster. The work is done. Someone just has to pull the switch, but
I can't step up to do that myself right now.

-Ted.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> I also want to ask how everyone feels about our current build
> process.  Are you using Ant, Maven 1 or Maven 2?

I used Maven 1 for the 1.3.0 builds, and it worked just fine.

> At this point we should probably take a vote and finalize a plan to
> merge [Action 1 subprojects] what we can.

With the proviso that +1 means, as always, that "I will help."

-T.

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:33 AM, James Mitchell wrote:

> I also want to ask how everyone feels about our current build
> process.  Are you using Ant, Maven 1 or Maven 2?

Mostly Maven 1.  I'm trying to move towards Maven 2, but for some
reason I can't get the tests to run for M2 (with Standalone Tiles at
least)  The reason is because of some kind of horked JAXP
configuration on my computer.  I haven't taken the time to diagnose
it.  There's one advantage of having multiple build systems in place.

Greg

Re: Towards a stable 1.3 release

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Mar 31, 2006, at 1:10 AM, Don Brown wrote:

> Ok, as I understand the current system, we'd need a GA release of
> all the subprojects, including Action 1, in order to declare a GA
> 1.3 release.
>
> How much work does those involved think this will be?  If a bit,
> I'm thinking it might be easier in the long run to go ahead,
> consolidate the subprojects, and even merge a few like taglibs and
> EL.  Then, we can push for a single release instead of having to
> roll and evaluate the 6  subprojects, each might take a few
> releases to get GA.

I'm curious about the relationship between a 'release' and a
'artifact'.  Does a single artifact (e.g. struts-taglib-x.y.z.jar)
require it's own separate release?  Is this a requirement?

I also want to ask how everyone feels about our current build
process.  Are you using Ant, Maven 1 or Maven 2?

I'm not against merging subprojects, especially if it means
simplifying the build and dependencies.  When we initially setup the
Maven 1 build, most subproject's build configuration simply inherited
from the master (which get's svn:external'd into each).  This
approach reduces a lot of confusion between project interdependencies.

At this point we should probably take a vote and finalize a plan to
merge (as suggested below) what we can.

> I'm willing to defer to those who have been doing all the hard work
> to get this far, and I'd like to help do whatever it takes to get a
> stable release out there.  I'm just wondering if one larger release
> will be quicker and easier than 6 releases.  In fact, here is an
> idea at how to getting a release out ASAP and make Action easier to
> manage:
> - Put all subprojects under Action 1

What do you mean exactly?  Since there isn't a directory called
'action1', I can only assume you mean to put them all under the same
named release, the 'Action 1' release and not actually moving (svn
mv) them.

If so, I'd be +1

> - Merge Faces into Extras

By this, I assume you mean physically 'svn mv' the source and modify/
merge the dependencies for the build.  Also +1

> - Merge EL into taglibs

+1 again (Does that affect our minimum supported servlet spec?)

> - Get strict with tickets - only let bugs hold us up, and then,
> only ones we agree should hold us back.  Most projects ship with
> bugs, just we'd make sure to document them.

Agreed.

> Bottom line, the fewer subprojects and even "modules", the quicker
> a GA release will happen and the easier the project will be to
> manage.  We are _way_ overdue on this release and I'm now hearing
> some literally don't think it will _ever_ be finished, and worse,
> that we don't care.

It's funny how 'being excited about something new' somehow translates
into 'not caring about something else'.  I find this to be pretty
characteristic of nay-sayers and negative people in general (e.g. our
trolls).

I agree 100% that we are overdue for a release and I'd like to help
make that happen.

--
James Mitchell