Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2006/02/24 03:49:07 UTC

Chainsaw: New release, vote?

Well, I've committed the last doco bits and pieces for ZeroConf and
Chainsaw, and wouldn't mind a release to get some feedback.

Anyway, I'm obviously +1.  If Scott +1's it, is that enough
votes.. ?    Do we need a broader vote?  We haven't had a vote in the
past, but maybe that's because no-one, including me, ever thought
about it.

cheers,

Paul

Re: Chainsaw: New release, vote?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,
A vote IS needed with at least 3 +1s, which you now have... Give it a
day, and assuming no -1s arrive, you're all set...

Yoav

On 2/23/06, Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> wrote:
> Well, I've committed the last doco bits and pieces for ZeroConf and
> Chainsaw, and wouldn't mind a release to get some feedback.
>
> Anyway, I'm obviously +1.  If Scott +1's it, is that enough
> votes.. ?    Do we need a broader vote?  We haven't had a vote in the
> past, but maybe that's because no-one, including me, ever thought
> about it.
>
> cheers,
>
> Paul

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: Chainsaw: New release, vote?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
Apologise for the delay in repyling to this
On 24/02/2006, at 4:15 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2006, at 8:49 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
>
>> Well, I've committed the last doco bits and pieces for ZeroConf
>> and Chainsaw, and wouldn't mind a release to get some feedback.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm obviously +1.  If Scott +1's it, is that enough
>> votes.. ?    Do we need a broader vote?  We haven't had a vote in
>> the past, but maybe that's because no-one, including me, ever
>> thought about it.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Given the feedback on the recent log4j 1.3 alpha 8, how would you
> characterize the intended release?  It production quality to be
> placed on the primary dist and mirrors or alpha, beta or otherwise
> and placed on cvs.apache.org?

Chainsaw is still alpha, so this release is just like all the others
we've done, it's an "early access release".

> What versions of log4j would it work with?

It currently ships with alpha 7.  however I do local testing against
HEAD all the time to make sure it still works.  Once alpha 8 is
released, i'll switch to using that for distribution type releases.

> Would you prefer Mark to do a build and place it for review or do
> you intend to do that?  A release vote would need a set of bits for
> us to give thumbs up or down.
>
> Sorry not to be up on these things.

I have all the ant bits and pieces setup so that "ant distribution"
in the log4j-chainsaw module will build, package, and ship (via scp)
to the current spot to be deployed.  I think just need to move aside
the old distribition and replace it with the new version.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 24/02/2006, at 2:58 PM, Jacob Kjome wrote:

> Chainsaw is still "alpha" or "beta", no?  I don't think any vote is
> needed.  However, if a vote is needed, count me as +1.

It'd be nice if there was no 'formal' vote required, but I'm cool
either way.  I guess I'll be more diligent in at least giving the
team a heads up with what's actually goiig on, rather than just being
a rogue element deploying things willy nilly....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Chainsaw is still "alpha" or "beta", no?  I don't think any vote is
needed.  However, if a vote is needed, count me as +1.

Jake