Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Eliot Jones <el...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2018/01/07 15:54:32 UTC

License and naming for derivative works

I have been migrating PDFBox to C# in order to provide an Apache 2.0 licensed solution for working with PDFs in C#.

Repository is here: https://github.com/UglyToad/Pdf

I am almost at the point where I intend to release an alpha version of the software to NuGet (Maven equivalent).

I wanted to check what conditions were necessary/polite for releasing this derivative work.

  *   I am keeping the Apache 2.0 license but should the copyright in my license be the copyright from the PDFBox version of the license?

  *   Additionally I assume I must redistribute the NOTICES.txt file present in the PDFBox code?

  *   On naming, I was intending to rename the project (not sure what name yet) to indicate that much of the code has been rewritten and it’s not an official port. This will prevent people filing bugs (of which my version will have many) with PDFBox. Is this ok or would this be considered bad etiquette?

  *   Are there any other steps I should take to release a work derived from PDFBox and managed by the Apache Foundation?

Many thanks,

Eliot Jones

Re: License and naming for derivative works

Posted by chitgoks <ch...@gmail.com>.
please let us know if indeed you decide to publish it in nuget

thank you

Posted by Alessandro Bellini <a....@gmail.com>.
Thanks! ...it will be very useful for everybody

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 14.01.2018 um 14:56 schrieb Eliot Jones:
> Hi Andreas,
>

> Many thanks for your response.
>

>    1.  When I forked I took trunk, the commit was "01aa37bcc4" (unfortunately I didn't realise there was a version 2.0 until much later).
The trunk targets a 3.0.0 version containing some major changes/additions. It is
still under development and therefore not as stable as the 2.0. branch w.r.t. to
the api.

>    2.  Just to clarify what does "PMC" mean? And to include the PDFBox copyright in the license which text should I use, I currently have "EXTERNAL COMPONENTS
PMC = project management committee, see [1] for further deatils

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#structure

> PdfPig includes a number of components with separate copyright notices
> and license terms. Your use of these components is subject to the terms and
> conditions of the following licenses.
>
> Contributions made to the original PDFBox and FontBox projects:
>
>     Copyright (c) 2002-2007, www.pdfbox.org
>     All rights reserved."
> At the end of the license file, should I add a more up-to-date copyright elsewhere in the file, or does this mean including the copyright comments at the top of each class? Sorry, my understanding of how copyright should be used and applied is not good! :)
The PDFBox and FontBox (www.pdfbox.org) are the predecessors of Apache PDFBox
(pdfbox.apache.org). It would be wrong to "update" the copyright years.
The same is true for the PaDaF entry.

You may omit the parts which you are not ported, most likely the OSXAdapter and
maybe PaDaF if you don't port preflight and xmpbox to .NET

>    3.
> While it would be very helpful to be promoted, I worry that my rewriting of parts will have caused many bugs and I wouldn't want to damage PDFBox by having a buggy product associated with it. Possibly once I become stable enough to do a full release. :)
:-) OK, give us a heads up once your port is good enough to be promoted.

>    4.
> Because I got side-tracked by rewriting parts of the code in order to better understand the specification I'm still quite far from having any kind of feature parity, however I plan on watching for changes within PDFBox and porting those as they are implemented.
The PDF spec is quite complex, so that we all know what you are fighting with.

> Thanks again for your time (and the original PDFBox code :D ).
Thanks for letting us know what you are doing. Not everyone out there is
interested in doing it right when copying/forking/using the code of someone
else. :-)

Looking forward to hear from your progress

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.