Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/11 21:50:02 UTC

New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

The new CSS changes the default setting for links, by removing
underlines unless the mouse hovers over the link.

However, this has broken all the internal name definitions.
These now look like links - they are blue, and get underlined when hovered over.

See for example [1] where the table headings are blue (they should be black).
But just about every file also has similar headings that are now broken.

I've no idea whether it is possible for CSS to distinguish between <a
href="#xxx"> and <a name="xyz">.

One way to fix this would be to change the site generation Anakia
stylesheet to use:

<h3 id='incubator'>
   1. Incubation
</h3>

rather than:

<h3>
   <a name="incubator">1. Incubation</a>
</h3>

However, this will affect nearly every single html file, so before I
commit this change and flood the commits list with e-mails, is there a
CSS-expert who can confirm whether or not it's possible to change the
behaviour of <a href> without affecting <a name> ?

[I realise that the name attribute is deprecated, but the id attribute
behaves exactly the same.]

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html

Re: New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 October 2011 20:59, Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should be possible as described here:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#attribute-selectors
>>
>> not sure on browser compatibility though
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Works for me with FireFox, Opera, Chrome, IE.

Tested with different versions?
http://dev.l-c-n.com/CSS3-selectors/browser-support.php

But would say looks according to this table.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>>> The ones I noticed were in headings, but there could now (or in the
>>> future) be other instances that are not in headings.
>>
>> well, I *hope* this will not be the case. Otherwise there will be
>> exceptions on the page which finally leads into chaos.
>
> Not sure I follow.

No worries, my comment was not so important

> What exceptions?
>
> <a name="xyz"> used to be the standard way to create anchors in HTML
> files, so why should that cause an exception?

I meant, we use tocs which lead to h2 anchors only.
If somebody would start to make anchors without putting it into a
heading, that would be an exception to what we have now. If it is only
one, ok, but if there are many...

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> h2 a, h3 a, h4 a, h5 a {
>>  text-decoration: none;
>>  color: black;
>> }
>>
>>> It would also hide links in headings (if there are any)
>>
>> Have not found a single one.
>> Besides, it would be really nasty to put links into headings imho
>
> It's not just ones in headings that are affected; any instance of <a
> name> will be affected.
>
> The ones I noticed were in headings, but there could now (or in the
> future) be other instances that are not in headings.

well, I *hope* this will not be the case. Otherwise there will be
exceptions on the page which finally leads into chaos.

> We should use the fix suggested above in combination with the selector.
> If the browser does not support the selector, at least headings will
> still look OK.

+1

> I'm working on a JIRA to document this; I'll attach my site.vsl patch
> in case we later have to (or want to) use ids in header tags instead.

Sounds good

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: New bootstrap CSS messes up display of all internal name definitions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.