Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/17 14:09:58 UTC

Metadata centralized vs distributed

Hello guys,

First of all, sorry if this post is out there some where I didn't know
or I couldn't find, in this case please point me to the right place. I
have posted this issue on TortoiseSVN mailing list and a guy from
there point me to this place.

Here is the issue:
I have a working dir with tree of working files. Then I upload my
working dir to my web server and the .svn folder in the working dir
and its sub-folder has been uploaded along with the working dir. I
have been told to use the Export feature but I would not like it that
way, what I intended to upload is just my working dir without the
metadata (.svn things).
So I wonder why we don't centralize the metadata to i.e just 1 folder
at the first place of the working dir instead of distributed over the
tree of the working dir?

Any reply would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tuan Nguyen

Re: Metadata centralized vs distributed

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.
Tuan Nguyen wrote:
> I mean directly upload my working dir using file explorer without using Export.

Well that's a bit of a contradiction.  Have you seen this?
http://tortoisesvn.net/most-forgotten-feature

RE: Metadata centralized vs distributed

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
Or you could use Tortoise which lets you do the export command from file
explorer... if it is the command line that you are afraid of.

BOb

Posted by JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Posted by JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Posted by Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hello eg,

Thanks. The links you pointed are exactly what we got here. I appreciated.

Regards,
Tuan

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andy,

Thank you for your reply.
This mean that it could be done. Nice to hear that.

Regards,
Tuan

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Erik,

Thank you for your reply.

> It's a much desired new feature.
That's great! Nice to hear.

> Since you make it sound so easy: wanna have a go at it?
I don't understand what you mean. Please explain more.

Regards,
Tuan

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Goldman <kg...@us.ibm.com>.
Tuan Nguyen <tu...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/17/2008 09:09:58 AM:

> I have a working dir with tree of working files. Then I upload my
> working dir to my web server and the .svn folder in the working dir
> and its sub-folder has been uploaded along with the working dir. I
> have been told to use the Export feature but I would not like it that
> way, what I intended to upload is just my working dir without the
> metadata (.svn things).

I used to do that, but there are a few nice things about export:

1 - You get exactly what you need without temporary files, object
files, logs, and all the other extra data sitting in your working
directory.

2 - When you export and try to build, it will be quickly obvious
if you forgot to add and commit something to the repository.