Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2013/08/06 16:41:49 UTC

Posting Blog Posts

Here's a draft of a "how to write a blog post". I intend to add this to the
website's README.md. Wanted to get some feedback / +1 since this is a
"process".

 Writting a Blog Post
> --------------------
> Blog posts live in `www/_posts`. To create a new post:
>   1. Copy one of the existing posts into a new file (changing the name
> appropriately).
>   2. Run "rake serve" in the background.
>   3. Draft your post.
>   4. Get your post reviewed by at least one other committer
>      1. via http://reviews.apache.org.
>      2. Should be able to do this by running the "post-review" tool. If
> the tool is not working, upload the diff manually (via "svn diff > file",
> and be sure to add the "cordova" group to the review request).
>   5. Update the file name to reflect the commit date (if necessary)
>   6. Run "rake build"
>   7. svn commit

*Post guidelines:*

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Andrew
  I think that's a good compromise *"approved by at least one committer
other than*
*> yourself"*

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Updated verbiage:

Writing a Blog Post

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
SGTM

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: Posting Blog Posts

Posted by Ken Wallis <kw...@blackberry.com>.
+1 as well. I plan to write some posts on BlackBerry and Cordova and a method to "link" would be great.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
From: Tommy Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 10:46:15
To: <de...@cordova.apache.org>

+1 from me as well.

I like the idea of official posts looking official as well as the side
effect of third party posts getting the traffic benefits.

- tommy
On 7 Aug 2013 03:44, "Ian Clelland" <ic...@chromium.org> wrote:

> +1. That's a good approach to separating them, and should encourage
> third-party authors to submit pieces -- knowing that Apache will drive
> traffic to their site.
>

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM, David Kemp <dr...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 for Michals approach
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I'de like to make a proposal about how we go about publishing certain
> > blog
> > > posts.  I think this is a good practice for Organizational-type blogs
> > > clearly identify posts which are (1) genuinely origination from the
> > > organization, vs (2) those which are just being curated from within the
> > > community.  This is already widely accepted practice on many other
> blogs
> > as
> > > well as on Twitter, and I think already the strategy that PhoneGap blog
> > > uses.
> > >
> > > Basically:
> > > (1) If the content has to do with cordova-core, i.e. announcing
> releases,
> > > or publishing guides, etc., we should publish the full text directly on
> > the
> > > cordova Blog (by whichever author), as-if written by the organization.
> > > (2) If the content was written by a contributor and is worth curating
> for
> > > the whole community, but is not really core ie. non-core plugins, dev
> > tips,
> > > research, opinion-pieces, statistics, etc., post a short description,
> > > perhaps adding a document-snippet, but then link to the externally
> hosted
> > > content, making it clearly not written by the organization.
> > >
> > > I think this makes it both easier to identify those posts which are
> > really
> > > organizationally important, as well as giving us a way to post things
> > that
> > > otherwise maybe would not have made the cut.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > -Michal

> > > the

> > name