Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/28 03:19:04 UTC

Question about the hbase source code

Hi all,

I am interested to know the internal implementation of hbase, so I'd like to
deep into the source source.
I found that the variable onlineRegions in HRegionServer is a map type and
the key is the hashcode of region name. So wont't it cause conflict ? I mean
tow region name may have the same hashcode. Or does the hash code
implemetation guarantee that two region name won't have the same hashcode ?

Thank you

Jeff Zhnag

Re: Question about the hbase source code

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
We dont use the standard hashing function, but one that exhibits
fairly good properties of uniform output. This reduces the chance of a
conflict, so while not impossible, it is unlikely.