Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com> on 2007/09/25 19:16:08 UTC

Tuscany and IRC #tuscany on freenode

I am a big fan of IRC.
There is a channel #tuscany on freenode.
Why not have more folks join the fun there?
I would suggest that there is a public log of the channel that is setup,
to keep the chats in the open.
I could ask a buddy there : http://echelog.matzon.dk/logs/ to setup a
log bot for it.
Any objections?
--
Cheers
Philippe

Re: Tuscany and IRC #tuscany on freenode

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> In Apache mailing lists are the preferred communication medium and IRC use
> is discouraged.
>
> There's been tons of discussion about this, searching the
> general@incubator.apache.org archives should find some. IRC might be ok for
> complete newbie user queries or "is the build broken for you" type questions
> but if it starts being used for much more than that then decisions start
> getting made and those who aren't there start missing out on things.
> Publishing the logs is not a complete solution as the logs of IRC
> discussions don't provide anything like the clarity of written email
> exchanges. IIRC in the past the use of IRC has delayed projects graduating
> from the Incubator so i think we should be careful about starting to use it
> much more now.
>
>    ...ant

Good point, +1 for being careful and not starting to use it much more,
and definitely +1 for not making decisions there.

However some of us are on #tuscany from time to time.. already. +1 to
log what's said on the channel and make the log public.

> On 9/25/07, Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a big fan of IRC.
>> There is a channel #tuscany on freenode.
>> Why not have more folks join the fun there?
>> I would suggest that there is a public log of the channel that is setup,
>> to keep the chats in the open.
>> I could ask a buddy there : http://echelog.matzon.dk/logs/ to setup a
>> log bot for it.
>> Any objections?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Philippe

Jean-Sebastien

Re: Tuscany and IRC #tuscany on freenode

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for public log too...

On 9/25/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
> Luciano Resende wrote:
> > I have updated the Getting Involved page [1] to have the IRC
> > information. It should be live in the next couple hours.
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/getting-involved.html
> >
> > On 9/25/07, Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like a good idea.  Just yesterday I looked in Tuscany's homepage to
> >> see if they use an IRC channel, but did not find any.  It will be very
> >> useful in getting help on issues real quick.
> >>
> >> Vamsi

> Good idea, I'm on #tuscany now :)
>
> +1 for a public log, when it's ready we should link to it from
> http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/getting-involved.html.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Tuscany and IRC #tuscany on freenode

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.